11 July 2014 (Friday) - Off to Brighton

I had a rather restless night, finally dropping off only to be woken at 6am by my alarm. Woken by the alarm - that never happens. I woke to a very wet and murky morning. But the weather outside didn't matter. The weather sixty miles away was what counted today. I checked the forecast for West Sussex; dry until an hour after we would be setting up camp. We'd better get a move on...

The Rear Admiral was only a little late, and after a quick trip to pick up Tony, an even quicker trip was made to Tesco for last minute supplies and following an altercation with a red traffic light we were in Stanmer Park where the weather bore no relation to the forecast. Andrew came over and helped us set up; he's always been a good 'un like that. After half an hour we had our communal tent "brown and smelly" up, and also the Coleman's event shelter which I had blagged from the astro club. The thing needed airing anyway (!) and if it worked out for us I will probably get one for myself, but at two hundred quid it seemed a rather expensive experiment.
Rather than putting up our own tents we reversed my car under the event shelter and unloaded whilst the rain had a particularly heavy downpour.

We soon had campsite set up, and during a lull in the rain we went for a little geo-stroll. Two First to Finds... two happy dances. We came back to camp to find that some normal people had set up camp relatively close to our tents. We smiled sweetly at the old couple, and as the in-laws arrived we suggested they might camp between the oldsters and us.
They oldsters and the in-laws argued all weekend long...

The rest of our number soon arrived, and we had a beer or two, a rather wonderful curry, and then I fell asleep for a couple of hours. I *hate* that. But being woken for a drop of port and some cheese is never a bad thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment