28 September 2023 (Thursday) - Rostered Day Off

A night shift and a bottle of red wine meant I slept like a log last night. I was licked awake at half past seven by three rather excited dogs, the smallest of which seemed to have got over whatever it was that had upset her yesterday.
I made toast (with jam) and had a look at the Internet. It was still there. I looked at a few holiday photos… here’s a thought. If you home-school your kids you can get to go on holiday when it is a lot cheaper when everyone else is at school. I sent out a birthday wish to someone who was one of my trainees thirty years ago. She was fifty today. Fifty - where do the years go?
And I looked at the geo-map. Yesterday I mentioned that the geo-feds had archived one of my caches without my having received any notification that there was a problem with it. I saw on the map that another of my caches in that series had been disabled by officialdom because of perceived problems with it that they hadn’t told me about. I can’t be poring over the geo-map every day looking to see if there’s issues with what I’ve hidden. I archived all my ones along the Greensand Way (as that seemed to be where the problem was).
I also heard that last night’s launch of the South Ashford Community Forum wasn’t the success that it might have been. There were four local councilors (who really had to be there), two members of the “Friends of Victoria Park”, four members of the public (at whom the meeting was aimed), the chairman of the South Ashford Community Forum, and the secretary of the church which was hosting the meeting. As I suspected, apathy was the winner here.
And with not a lot else happening in cyberspace I turned off the lap-top and cracked on with the day.
 
Yesterday I did loads of washing which just didn’t dry, so I hung it on the line again. That took ages. And with it done I took the dogs for a walk. We went up to Kings Wood where we walked for three and a half miles. We arrived to see a Dalmatian running round the car park; he followed us (at a distance) into the woods but wandered off after a while. I hope he’s OK – he was a hundred yards behind us for a while, then suddenly just disappeared.
As we went we did whistle practice which worked with varying degrees of success. Treacle rarely left my side, by when she did the whistle brought her back in near panic. Bailey would come at top speed, but being only little and being keen to wander, coming back took a while for her even if she did respond immediately. And Morgan would come in his own good time when he was ready. But whistle training did work (even if it took a while).
 
With walk walked we came home where I put a load of washing into scrub, got the washing in off the line, and started an epic session of ironing. As I ironed I watched the last episodes of “Shameless”; I started watching the series on May 5th; it has only taken just under six months to watch. And with the last of “Shameless” watched and pants still to sort, I put on a Netflix film.
Paradise” is a sci-fi (ish) film, the premise of which is that you can sell years of your life for financial gain or to pay off debts. However (like “Shameless”) the writers would have benefitted from the teensiest bit of research. *If*it were possible to extend human life, telomere transplantation would be a sensible place to start… and for the film-makers this would involve something which would look like a blood transfusion. Physically ripping years out of someone’s back in much the same way that a butcher might remove the kidneys from a carcass simply doesn’t work. And having the leading characters being in total disagreement, but each alternately taking different sides of the argument didn’t work. The film was originally made in German; perhaps it lost something in translation? I think it fair to say “es war krappenschite”.
 
“er indoors TM came home from a day in the office and the dogs all got rather over-excited to see her. She boiled up a rather good bit of scran which we devoured whilst watching more “Lego Masters: USA”. There’s a new series of “Bake Off” going on to the Sky-Q box, but we’ll get Lego watched before we start on that…
Today was a rostered day off… I think I needed it after Tuesday’s night shift…

No comments:

Post a Comment