23 September 2023 (Saturday) - Still Here

I was rather glad to wake up this morning. Apparently yesterday was the end of the world. Mind you for all that Facebook had been crawling with memes about it all week, there was precious little that I could actually find on-line to explain why yesterday was supposedly the end of the world.
Mind you I can remember the first “end of the world” on the first of January 1980. Apparently Nostradaumus had said that everything would come to a crashing halt. But it didn’t. I spent quite a bit of that day walking round Hastings with my mate Douggie Small; both of us rather disappointed that the world was still there.
Since then there have been quite a few “ends of the world” but none of them lived up to the disappointment of that first one.
 
“er indoors TM was off out with her mates this morning leaving me with the dogs. As she went out and closed the front door so all three turned to me and looked at me with a rather disappointed air. “Oh, the spare human’s in charge now?”. I did their brekkie and they all went straight back to sleep. I did my brekkie and had a little look at the Internet.
There was a posting on the Kent Dachshund Facebook page. Someone’s dog had seven puppies on Wednesday and had died (of sepsis) overnight leaving the newborn puppies. How do you bring up seven orphaned three-day-old puppies? I just wished I could offer more than just twee platitudes.
 
I loaded the dogs into the car and we drove round to Dog Club where I was on opening up duty. I open the gate and hang up the collection pot and a carrier bag for the poop. An easy enough thing to do.
Dog club went well. Little Lilly who was so reactive and nervous a few weeks ago is coming on in leaps and bounds.
There was a spaniel along for her first time; on arrival she stood at the edge of the field barking in terror at everyone. But after a few minutes she was in the thick of it all seemingly having a great time.
And at one point Treacle was part of a group of seven or eight dogs clustered around me getting tiny treats. When we first started Dog Club Treacle could barely tolerate Morgan and Bailey getting treats from me, and wouldn’t let any other dogs get between me and her; today she was part of a large group of dogs with whom I was sharing treats and she was happy to wait her turn. She’ll never be running and playing with the other dogs like the puppies do, but today was a major achievement for her.
 
As we drove home Steve was doing the Mystery Year on the radio. It was one of “the hippy years”…Was it 1970? It was.
Once home I emptied the washing machine and hung it out on the new line I’d put up a week or so ago. What with the seemingly constant rain we’ve had recently this was the first time I got to test my new washing line.
I made myself a cuppa and watched more “Star Trek: Lower Decks”, then settled the dogs (they were asleep anyway) and set off to work.
 
As I got on to the motorway there were a few miles of dual carriageway as the cones were out. There were a few more miles of dual carriageway at Junction eight as well. Having had an open motorway for a week or so, the roadworks have been back in place for a few days. Doubly so today as Junction five was also coned off meaning that I had to drive up to Junction four and double back to get to work. Mind you I was right to go up to Junction four and double back. Everyone else was taking the short cut at Junction six and the traffic was doubled back for probably about three quarters of a mile.
Don't get me wrong - I have no problems with highway maintenance and agree entirely that the roads need to be in tip-top shape. However I *do* have an issue with ten miles of coned-off motorway and no one actually doing any roadworks. That's not "not many" - that's "I've not seen a single person all week no matter what time of day or night I drive up and down the motorway".
 
I got to work where I had dinner in the works canteen. I often do when working at the weekend. A plate of macaroni cheese and chips with a bowl of apple pie and custard for pudding. Large portions served with a smile, and change out of four quid. Over the years I've heard so many snide comments about hospital food; all I can say is that the stuff I scoff is rather good.
I then cracked on with the business of the day. I've often mentioned that I don't mind working at the weekends... but I did mind today. Probably because the weather was so good.
 
I came home to mayhem… favourite smallest granddaughter “Darcie Waa Waa TM has come for a sleepover. She and her grandmother and the dogs are all up in the attic room… Telly time for me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment