8 September 2023 (Friday) - Late Shift

We’ve been looking at getting a new bathroom recently. Last night I had an incredibly vivid dream in which a friend with whom I used to go to school offered to do the “bathroom” far cheaper than anyone else would do. However my old mucker isn’t a plumber; he is a Baptist minister. He came along, said some prayers in the bathroom, announced that the taps now dispensed holy water, and gave me a bill for several thousand pounds.
Shortly after that the bin men came up the street seeing who could be the noisiest.
I made toast, sparked up the lap-top and saw two people had birthdays today. I sent out birthday wishes to the one who had made the effort to communicate over the last few years, and then had a little rummage in cyber-space. Not a lot was going on.
 
Once we’d found the dog leads (buried under a bowling ball) I took the dogs out. As we drove to the woods the pundits on the radio were talking about a new scheme whereby YouTube is now verifying health care professionals accounts to stop the spread of disinformation. I thought about signing up; after all I don’t want happy birthday videos, movies from my Lego cities, dog videos and my lip-synching to be labelled as “fake news”, do I?
We got to the woods and had a good walk. Morgan particularly was over-excited as he’d not been out for a couple of days, but with the heatwave it has been too hot recently. We walked two and a half miles and in that time only met one other dog-walker with whose dogs my dogs had a good game of chase.
 
We came home to the bath; Treacle had been wading in the swamps, Morgan had been rolling in the poo, and Bailey needed a scrub anyway. With dogs washed I popped up the road to the corner shop for pastries, then phoned the car insurance people. My car insurance is due for renewal next week and they’d quoted a price for the next year of a hundred and seventy quid more than I am currently paying. I threatened to go with another company, and the price dropped considerably. And when I said I’d rather pay in one lump sum rather than in monthly installments I ended up paying twenty quid less than I’d paid last year.
It always pays to quibble with car insurance.
I then paid the next year’s road tax for my car. Again I saved money my paying the year’s worth in one hit rather than in installments.
Paying out these lump sums might have left me a tad short, but over the next year I will put money aside each month ready for next year, and I shall be quids in… or that’s the plan.
 
I did some CPD, had a shower (as I was rather sweaty – yuk!) and set off to work. As I drove away from home I saw that I was right to have taken the dogs out earlier. In the three hours since we'd gone out the temperature had gone up by fifteen degrees.
Seeing the co-op car park full I didn't stop. As I drove up the motorway I saw there was a half-hearted attempt at "Operation Brock", but rather than using the barriers (which obviously had cost a small fortune), there were a few miles of road cones going London-bound and only lorries going coast-bound; cars (presumably) taking the A-road.
 
Not having been to the co-op I went to Sainsbury's to get lunch. I met some "normal people" there. I got my stuff and joined the queue for the till. As we got to the till,  the chap in front saw how little shopping I had compared to him, and suggested I went first as I would get through quicker. I thanked him, but as the cashier ran my stuff through the till, so his wife loudly started shouting about how some people have no manners, and there was a queue. And to my amazement the chap who'd suggested I went first stared loudly agreeing with her. The cashier winked at me and whispered "we get all sorts in here".
I hurried away...
 
Yesterday had been hard work; the late shift was one of the worse ones. And to think I'd asked to swap into it (to go to the dentist appointment which got cancelled!). But eventually the night shift rolled in, and I came home… down the A-road as the coast-bound motorway was closed.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up fish and chips which we scoffed whilst watching more “Landscape Artist of the Year” in which for every one person coming up with a half-way decent painting there were half a dozen making frankly dreadful messes which (had he scrawled them) my eight-year-old grandson would be embarrassed to show to anyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment