22 September 2023 (Friday) - Geo-Meet

One of the smaller dogs moved in their sleep last night and Treacle got very agitated about it. She can be quite the grump when woken up in the small hours. But she has no difficulty in getting back to sleep. I dozed on and off for a couple of hours, then gave up trying to sleep, and made toast, Rather than watching "Shameless" I watched more "Star Trek: Lower Decks" which was rather good; today's episode had loads of references to what had gone before; quite possibly too many. I suspect people who hadn't been watching Star Trek twenty-five years ago would have had no idea what was going on.
I then had a little look at the Internet (my mornings follow a definite routine); there were still “likes” and comments appearing on the photos from Wednesday’s meet-up. And since then I’ve been thinking… I can distinctly remember that there were twelve people along to our first-ever trekkie meeting in May 1993. Five of us were at the pub on Wednesday. One was (and still is) in America. One was (and still is) in Hastings. I can picture three others who have completely disappeared… and I can’t remember the other two at all.
 
Taking care not to disturb anyone (especially a grumpy Treacle) I got ready for work and set off through a very dark and foggy morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how President Biden has announced that (unlike Poland) he is continuing to fund the Ukrainians' war efforts. I suppose the difference between Poland and the USA is that Poland can't afford to pay for someone else's war and that the Russians are very nearly on the Polish doorstep, whereas the USA is only too happy to fund the war against Russia that they dare not actually fight themselves.
And a year after ex-Prime Minister Liz Truss comprehensively poggered the UK economy the Labour party has suggested that any major changes to the UK's financial policies be reviewed by the official watchdogs.
That's a very good idea. But why not extend this beyond the Treasury. Why not have the same for education and health? It's no secret that every change to the country's health policy has been instigated and abandoned on the whim of the current political climate without a thought for whether or not a policy might (or did) work.
 
I went to work via the petrol station where they didn't have any sandwiches. having forgotten to make any this morning I needed some scoff. So I drove over to Sainsburys where I got lunch. And again my piss boiled. I managed to work the self-service checkouts as I'm not entirely useless. However quite a few other customers did struggle with them. There were several rather bored members of staff standing round idle. Those that weren't fiddling on their phones were sneering at the customers who were having trouble with the checkouts. You'd think they'd put these staff on the manned checkouts, wouldn't you? After all this is a very regular occurrence.
 
Work was work; I did my bit. But as the day went on I felt progressively more and more grotty. I was glad to be on an early shift. But once home early I didn’t take the dogs out. “er indoors TM had taken them out at lunch time and brought them home covered in poo. Dogs is foul creatures.
Instead I sat quietly on the sofa and wrote up some CPD.
 
By the early evening I’d perked up a bit, so we settled the dogs and drove out to Badlesmere where there was a geo-meet going on. It was good to catch up with friends I see oh-so rarely.
Three pints later we came home (via the kebab shop) and watched more “Lego Masters: USA” in which each team of contestants was given an extra team member – a dog. They then had to make a Lego model of their canine team member. It turned out to be rather harder than it looked, with three of the models collapsing into a thousand (or more) pieces at the vital moment of judging.

No comments:

Post a Comment