4 September 2023 (Monday) - Before the Night Shift

Not a lot was happening in the Internet this morning so I got myself and the dogs organized and we set off for our morning walk.
 
As we drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the “schools falling down” scandal. There was an interview with a head teacher who said that despite numerous requests he’s had no information whatsoever from the Department of Education about what was happening with his (collapsed) school. However he’d read the newspapers in which it had been claimed that the government would pay to rebuild schools, but it was up to the schools themselves to fund alternate arrangements for teaching the kids whilst the re-build happened. Where the schools are going to get money to pay for alternate accommodation, and to organize school dinners was anyone’s guess.
They then wheeled on the Education Secretary who basically refused to actually say anything at all. But (to be fair to her) she said that bearing in mind that two schools have had ceilings collapse when surveyors said all was fine, she wanted to get a good idea of the scale of the problem… She said she’d have answers by the end of the week.
I wonder if she will have?
 
We got to Kings Wood and went on a little mission. Over the weekend I’d had reports that four of my geocaches there were missing. So I went out with four spare pots in my pocket, and (sure enough) they were all missing.
I must admit that I chose Kings Wood for somewhere to put geocaches as replacing them can be done during a dog walk. And I am fully aware that replacing missing geocaches is the responsibility of the person who hid the thing. But is it really so much to ask that people carry a few spare plastic pots in their rucksack when they go walking? It takes less time to replace a missing cache than it does to tell me about it. But this is an argument that has been done to death… There are those who contriblute to any hobby and thos who take. As Oliver Hardy once remarked “Twas ever thus”.
We had a good walk. We kept to the narrower paths which were under the trees as much as we could be; Treacle’s been sick a few times over the last few days – I think she might have had too much sun on Saturday. Dogs are a worry.
 
We came home; I got pastries from the corner shop. I then sparked up the lap-top and told the geo-world that I’d replaced the missing caches.
I then spent a bit of time writing up more CPD, then took myself off to bed for the afternoon.
 
After four hours asleep (that’s not bad for an afternoon!) I woke up. I came downstairs, and the dogs were all rather excitable; they know when it is time to feed the pond fish. “Feeding the Fish” has become something of a ritual; I pootle about whilst the dogs get more and more worked up until I announce “I’m going to feed the fish” at which point they all sprint down the garden to the pond in the desperate hope that some of the fish food will fall on the side of the pond where they can get it.
Some usually does.
 
And so off to another night shift. Back in the day things were very different. Night shifts were rather lucrative; if rather arduous. People would do the night shifts up until their thirtieth birthday at which point they gave up and the youngsters coming in to the job would take over.
These days people don’t seem to start doing the job until they are over thirty…

No comments:

Post a Comment