20 August 2023 (Sunday) - Rather Busy

 

The original plan for this weekend had me working last night and consequently asleep for much of today. I was glad that plans had changed.
I woke at half past six, rolled ever and slept through till nine o’clock. We then had something of a minor panic as we had to be up, dogs fed, and on our way within forty minutes as today was our monthly catch-up with friends over a spot of brekkie. We made it with one minute to spare.
 
It is always good to catch up with old friends; we put the world to rights, and in a novel break with tradition I had mushrooms and black pudding in place of plum tomatoes on my Full English and ate far too much.
From Café Express we drove round to Quantock Drive for the “Garage Safari” where people were effectively running boot fair stalls in their own front gardens. Working on the old maxim that “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure” I went along with high hopes. However the old maxim is wrong. One man’s trash is actually another man’s rubbish. I honestly think the idea of having a boot fair in the front garden was that the front garden was closer to the car into which the rubbish would be loaded for a tip run. People were selling worn and knackered old clothes, tired-looking crockery, broken toys, and encyclopedias from fifty years ago. I had a transient moment of excitement when I saw a large tub of Lego, but that which wasn’t either broken or had teeth marks all over it was actually fake Lego.
 
We came home, hung out the washing, and cracked on with the day. Pausing only briefly to mow the lawn, my plan was to empty out the back bedroom. The plaster has blown (quite badly) and I needed to empty all the shelves and then clear space for the plasterer. I boxed up books that I haven’t read in years (and have no intentions of reading again). I found my old telescope; having spent a small fortune on it twelve years ago I used it twice and it has been in storage ever since. I found back packs which I was sure had been binned years ago. I found a brand new pair of slippers I bought to take on holiday two years ago. I found two broken printers which I’d been saving for no reason whatsoever. And as I tidied and cleared stuff out of the room I found loads of Lego minifigures which I’d obviously dropped on the floor over the years.
 
By the time I’d swept up and made good the afternoon had nearly gone. “er indoors TM drove us all down to the woods where we had a rather good walk. We didn’t see anyone else as we walked, but we did do a little swamp-monstering, and there was a minor altercation with a dead blackbird.
I was in charge of washing dogs when we came home.
 
“er indoors TMsorted a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching another episode of “Lego Masters: New Zealand”.
I’m quite worn out, and there’s a busy day planned for tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment