6 August 2023 (Sunday) - Early Shift

As I got up (far too early) so both Morgan and Bailey moved into the warm spot in the bed that I'd just vacated. I made toast, watched an episode of "Shameless", then set off to work through a rather bright morning.

As I drove I listened to the radio. There was some drivel about how some young woman has bought a tumbledown farm and is trying to run the place on horse power. She was being interviewed from the middle of a field of stallions and whilst horses can drag ploughs about, this woman was far more keen to tell the world that she had a three-year-old son than she was to explain how a field of horses might generate enough (or any) electricity to run the house she was planning to rebuild.

Mind you she admitted that water was pouring through the roof whenever it rained, so maybe getting leccie into it was perhaps a tad daft right now.It soon became clear that this woman clearly had money to burn to be taking on a derelict farm and trying to restore it, and rather than getting annoyed (again) at people with more money than sense I turned over to my MP3 player and sang along to "Ivor Biggun" songs as I drove to Tunbridge Wells. 

Driving wasn't easy today; there was a rather expensive looking sports car being chased by a couple of old minis which would all fly past me at breakneck speeds, then presumably then took detours down country lanes to get behind me only to come flying past again.
I could have squealed them to the Old Bill; but the Old Bill won't do anything about the road racing that goes on along the bypass by the outlet centre in Ashford, so I doubt they'd want to go out to Sissinghurst or Goudhurst.

 I stopped off in Goudhurst for a Skyland and a QrewZee (as Munzee-ers are wont to do), then carried on to work. I'd not wanted to work today; I seem to work so many weekend days. In between doing my thing I kept looking out the window at a rather glorious day.

Ironically as I drove home so the bright skies in Tunbridge Wells got darker as I headed east. I abandoned my plans to take the dogs to the woods as by the time I’d got to Ashford the sky was black. I had just enough time to feed the pond fish before the rain started. According to the forecast it should stop soon.
It rained a lot yesterday too…but here’s a thought. From the late 90s till the early 2010s we used to go camping several times a year over weekends from June to the August Bank Holiday. Every year the weather was far better earlier than it ever was later. August was often a washout… and still is.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment