1 August 2023 (Tuesday) - Before the Late Shift

I slept well and finally woke after a nightmare in which “er indoors TM had decided that cactuses would make good pond plants.
I made toast and had my usual trawl through the Internet. Knowing that several friends had birthdays today I was ready to post out birthday wishes… no one had a birthday today. What had I been thinking? There was quite a bit on pride in Yorkshire and Scotland evident on my Facebook feed this morning. I can never work out why so many Scots and Yorkshiremen are *so* proud of their homeland but choose to live in Kent.
Mind you I did smile at the story I read of the (ex-) Kentish man who persuaded Thurrock council to invest tens of millions of their money in his business… Well, not so much “invest” as “hand over”. The chap bought a private jet (among other things) out of the money he ripped off from the council. He’s now living the high life abroad whilst the council is effectively bankrupt. Democracy, eh? Rather than electing the sort of person who stands for local council, why don’t we as a “democracy” appoint people who aren’t quite so gullible to run things?
 
I drove the dogs up to Kings Wood. Bearing in mind the amount of rain we’ve had recently I thought the paths there might be less mucky than at Orlestone.
They were.
Kings Wood isn’t *that* much further away than Orlestone really. And when the roads are clear it doesn’t take much longer to get there. We had a good walk; we only met one other dog walker – I say “walker”; the chap was running. The pups tried to join in with his run but they soon came back to the sound of the whistle. When it works, whistle training is rather impressive to watch.
We also tried “posing for the camera” again; it is still very much a work in progress.
 
With walk walked we had a cuppa (and pastries) and I spent a little time looking at my latest obsession that will never happen - a world cruise. Take this one for example – a hundred days away. It works out at a hundred quid a day which ain’t bad I suppose, but for all that it is a “world cruise”, only twenty-nine of the days involve doing any touristy-stuff. Seventy-one days are spent on the boat sailing. I’d go stir-crazy.
“er indoors TM has found a cruise going from Dover to the Isles of Scilly (via Guernsey) and back over a week. That might do for next summer if we can find a dog-sitter.
 
And then I went to work for the late shift. I’d rather do an early given a choice… shame that I wasn’t…

No comments:

Post a Comment