11 August 2023 (Friday) - Early Shift

I woke in a cold sweat at half past four this morning following an incredibly vivid nightmare. Despite having been dead for nearly a year, the late Queen had a job for me. She'd decided that having the confidence to have such a small dog as Bailey meant that I was (to quote HM from my dream) a "double hard b*stard". Consequently she formally decreed that I was the very subject to kick seven shades of sh*t out of (as she said) that smarmy git Private Fraser from "Dad's Army". I tried to point out that "Dad's Army" was a fictional television programme, and that the actor playing Private Fraser had died over forty years ago ,but a royal flunkie pointed out that not doing what the late Queen told me was treason and I would be executed if I didn’t.
I didn't get back to sleep after that.
 
I got up, put toast in to cook, and as it burned I made sandwiches for lunch. As I scoffed my burnt toast I watched an episode of Shameless. I then had a quick look at the Internet. The Munzee servers were still down (for the third day), and there was a lot of consternation being expressed on the Star Trek related Facebook pages. People weren't at all happy to read the spoilers about yesterday's newly-released episode... Bearing in mind the show's season finale was released yesterday there were going to be spoilers. Don't look at the Internet until you've watched the telly. Dur !
Surely the experience of the last few years has taught us that?
 
I set off to work leaving myself a little time to spare. The journey to Tunbridge Wells this week has been problematical; taking as little as just less than an hour to almost two hours depending on the vagaries of the roads. Today there were no roadworks and I made good time. As I drove there was a lot of talk about the doctor's strike and it is quite clear that the same pundits on the radio who (only a few short years ago) had been encouraging us all to stand on the doorsteps clapping like demented sea lions for the wonderful NHS have had a change of heart. The pundits on the radio today have quite plainly taken against the NHS. But fighting the NHS strikes is somewhat counterproductive, isn't it?. As I pointed out earlier in the week, when considering a career, why would anyone pick anything medically related? You can get far more money for far less effort in a lot of places. Am I really being that cynical when I wonder if it won't be long before there's St John's Ambulance Service volunteers and scouts trying for their First Aid badge running A&E departments...
 
I stopped off at Tesco to get coffee. As I don't work at Pembury *that* often I get sachets of coffee. On Monday I got enough for two weeks...  and yesterday I realised that I have two a day (not one) and had only got enough for one week.
I also got a sandwich for lunch; I'd forgotten to pick up the one I'd made earlier and had left it in the kitchen.
 
Work was work. Managing to keep a straight face I had all the junior staff believing that today was Saint Mulligatawny's day and that they should all have a liquified dinner this evening; Saint Mulligatawny being the patron saint of soups, stews and broths. It's amazing what nonsense people believe *if* you can spout it without giggling.
 
Being on an early I got out early, but being at Pembury I didn’t get home until rather later than I might have liked. But it wasn’t as late as it might have been, and I took the dogs (and “er indoors TM) down to Orlestone Woods. We had a good walk, and as we came home we got the news that the Munzee servers were working again.
After a lot of farting about I was soon back Munzing.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good plate of sausage and chips which we scoffed whilst watching “Lego Masters: New Zealand”. That too was rather good; marred only by the Kiwis not having a certified Lego professional of their own and having to borrow one from Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment