26 August 2023 (Saturday) - Before Another Late Shift

My phone had a message for me this morning. Apparently my EVRI driver Adam had been unable to deliver my parcel at quarter past three this morning. If I would log on to a very dubious website and give it all my bank account details and passwords they might be able to redeliver…
I suppose it only takes one idiot to fall for these scams for the scammers to break even, and the second idiot puts them in profit.
 
I made toast and had a look at the Internet. I had an email from the nice people at Credit Karma who told me that my score had gone up twenty-seven points in the last month, and was currently three points up on what it had been what I first joined them. The nice people at Credit Karma are very quick to tell me when my score goes up or down, but are very vague about what might make it go up or down.
There was an entertaining rant on one of the atheist pages I follow on Facebook where some religious crackpot had joined to “spread the word of the lord” and had found that the words of his lord were at odds with the words of the lords of the other religious crackpots who had also joined the atheist pages to “spread the word of the lord”. I follow one or two religious and anti-religious pages for a bit of a laugh… mind you one of them makes me very uneasy. When I was a lad I used to go to Boys Brigade which is all about tricking small children in to going to church and then brainwashing them. Looking back the Boys Brigade was a very dangerous organization which should be banned. It certainly did me quite a bit of mental harm. But when I was eleven years old I took my best friend of the time along. Sadly he really fell for all they were pushing, and he’s now a Baptist pastor in the West Country. I follow his church’s Facebook page; it’s macabre. My old mate regularly stars in their webinars in which he presents stark staring nonsense as supposedly being factually correct on a regular basis. He’s clearly deranged… and it’s all because of me.
 
I had planned to get another coat of paint onto my wooden reel after brekkie, but with a forecast of zero per cent chance of rain overnight I’d left the thing out, and it had poured hard overnight. So I carried on slobbing on the sofa until it was time for dog club.
 
We had a minor disaster as we drove to dog club; Steve wasn’t on the radio, and whilst his replacement was bravely having a go, he was sadly no substitute.
Dog Club was much the same as ever… it sounds rather dull; you can’t really big it up. It is forty minutes in a fenced area in which dogs run riot whilst the humans stand around chatting. But I love watching the dogs have fun, and the dogs clearly love it; our three squeal in excitement when we turn the car in to the Repton estate.
 
We came home, and seeing my big wooden reel had dried out I got some paint onto it. Again what seemed like a simple and straightforward job took ages. I then got pastries from the corner shop, and spent a few minutes on the lap-top before setting off to the late shift.
As I drove I had a phone call from Sky. Did I want to get a Sky Glass telly with them? I said I wasn't keen... and the woman on the phone immediately hung up. I thought that was a tad rude... I would ask if they want my future custom, but there's so few providers these days they've got something of a monopoly anyway.
 
I drove up the "Operation Brock" dual carriageway to work. The westerly bit of "Operation Brock" has been abandoned (for now), but the easterly bit is still in force... for no reason that I can fathom. Similarly there was a delay at the bottom of Hermitage Lane where one of the lanes of the dual carriageway has been coned off all week for seemingly absolutely no reason at all.
I also drove through glorious sunshine to work. I was a tad miffed as when I left home the weather forecast gave seventy per cent chance of rain. There were a few specks of rain as I drove, but I see "seventy per cent chance of rain" as being somewhat more impressive than not enough spots of rain to bother putting on the windscreen wipers.
I got to work and did my bit. After an hour or so the rain set in, and I chirped up a little. I don't mind working at the weekend if I don't think I'm missing much.
 
And with my bit done I came home to a very quiet house. Favorite smallest granddaughter Darcie Waa Waa TM has come for a sleepover, and she is fast asleep in the attic room with “er indoors TM and all three dogs.
The living room is rather lonely, but I’m making the most of it and watching the telly in peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment