14 August 2023 (Monday) - My Idiot Magnet

I had a rather bad night's sleep, seeing every hour of the night. Eventually I gave up, got up, put a load of washing in to scrub and watched an episode of "Shameless" as I scoffed toast.

I had a look at the Internet. On Saturday I mentioned that a geocache had gone live locally but I didn't have time to go hunting for it. I saw that over the weekend others had tried but not found it, so I thought I might just possibly be the First to Find. I drove over to Godinton, parked up, and ten minutes later I added my name to the list of people who couldn't find it.
 
I headed off west-wards through the -hursts and the -dens on my way to work. As I drove I listened to the pundits on the radio. There was a lot of talk about the Bibby Stockholm barge. Moored up just off the coast of Dorset the ship was supposedly to house asylum seekers, but that plan went west when tests found legionella in its water. Whoops! This morning there was a lot of fuss about who knew what about the legionella. Not so much about the legionella, but who knew and who should have known. It transpires that neither the Home Office, Dorset council nor the contractors charged with running the boat seem to want the responsibility for the thing. I can't say I blame them.
And there was quite a bit of bitterness being vented at the NHS (again) as it seems that several cancer-treating targets are being dropped. I can't help but think that this is entirely what is wrong with the NHS. These targets are yet another scheme brought in on the whim of whatever political ideal was in vogue at the time. Over the years so many schemes like this have been forced onto the NHS and then dropped, with no one ever having looked to see whether they were good, bad or indifferent. Every time just as the latest way of working is starting to take effect so it is abandoned for the next.
I can't help but think that what the NHS needs is to be left alone.
 
I got to work; I did that which I had to. But the early start made for an early finish. I came home, collected the dogs and took them down to Orlestone Woods which were surprisingly busy this evening. As we walked we met six other dog walkers. We said hello nicely to three of them. One of them was “rather special”, with dogs on leads a mile into the woods, but we all just walked straight past. “Straight past” is something of a work in progress; this evening it worked.
Sadly one of the encounters was an utter disaster. Sometimes I wish my idiot magnet wasn’t quite so powerful…
We met them at the junction of three paths; father, precious pup and two very weird children with very noisy toy guns. On seeing us, father bundled up his precious pup and stood well back, looking on in abject terror. We walked past, but after ten yards the weird children started making all sorts of noises with their toy guns which they accompanied with strange howling noises. Of course Morgan and Bailey didn’t know what to make of this and started barking at them (to the weird children’s amazement and the father’s obvious horror). Eventually the weird children shut up, and Morgan and Bailey carried on the way we were going. When we were ten yards away so the children started their strange howling and started making noise with their toy guns again. So the dogs were back on the defensive until they shut up.
After this had happened six (I counted!) times I explained in a very loud voice that it was quite plain that father wanted us out of the way, and the sooner his two weird children shut up and stayed shut up, the sooner we could get out of the way. Father was amazed – he really had no idea that the pups were reacting to the peculiar behavior of his weird children.
The last dog we met was lovely; we met him and his mummy toward the end of the walk. He walked with Treacle (which was a major result bearing in mind how she hates other dogs) whilst his mummy told me about the strange man with two even stranger children she’d encountered earlier.
 
We came home; with “er indoors TM off bowling I washed undercrackers, ironed shirts and watched more “Shameless” as the dogs snored.
It’s a tough old life…

No comments:

Post a Comment