21 December 2018 (Friday) - Another Rostered Day Off


I slept like a log. I got up and over brekkie told the world my seventh (and final) choice for the book challenge thingy. Today was Asimov’s “Second Foundation”; I couldn’t not have anything by Asimov, could I?
Coming up with seven books over the last week has been rather difficult. There are so many books I could have put on to the list; in the end I went with old favourites; books I have read countless times over thirty years (or more). (Perhaps I should do a challenge of more recently- discovered treasures?)
Tomorrow I might publish a list of runners-up.

I spent a little while looking at today’s offering from the Advent Calendar wondering what on Earth I was going to say about it, then got dressed. I took the dogs out for a walk. I was planning on the route we took yesterday, but half-way across the co-op field I changed direction. There is a chap with a large red setter who when he sees us insists on fussing the dogs and making sure they play with his dog incessantly. Don’t get me wrong - I like my dogs to play with other dogs. For a while. But if this chap wants a life-long playmate for his dog then he should get another dog of his own and not try to hijack mine.
Narrowly avoiding being delayed for most of the morning we took a circuitous route in to the back of the park and had a rather good walk along a very full river. Bowens field wetland park was very wet; while we were there I made another video of the dogs playing. Watching the video might be a bit disconcerting - I wish Fudge wouldn’t snarl so. I’m reliably informed that it is a sign that he is happy and excited, but it sounds terrible.

With walk walked I settled the hounds and drove round to collect "My Boy TM". We drove down to Rocky’s café for a fry-up, and then walked over to the fishing tackle shop where I got him his Christmas pressie. I am a great believer in having someone tell me what they want for a pressie rather than being polite and trying to hide their disappointment when I have bought totally the wrong thing. Mind you although I have bought *exactly* what he wanted, I’ve brought it home with me. He will unwrap it in four days’ time and pretend to be surprised. Them’s the rules(!).

I came home and got out the ironing board. With so much that I could have done today, I ironed for a bit. As I ironed, I watched the latest film that Netflix had been touting. Bird Box was… well, I’ve spent a little while trying to phrase it better, but it was crap. The premise was nonsensical; the world has been taken over by invisible demons that send you mad when you look at them, and so the only way to stay sane is to walk round with a blindfold on. Sandra Bullock’s character wasn’t likeable, and as a film with (effectively) only one main character that didn’t make for good viewing. And Sandra Bullock’s character was pregnant. Pregnant? She’s only five months and five days younger than me and I’m a grandparent.
Basically if you liked films like “28 Days Later” or “Day of the Triffids” you will think this is the sort of thing you’d like, and you’d be disappointed.

I did a little C.P.D. (it’s a work thing) then dozed on the sofa for an hour or so until all three dogs started barking for no reason whatsoever. Having been woken I watched some “Prison Break” then put up today’s instalment of the Lego Advent Calendar. Today I’d opened the window to find a candy cane with a clock on it. With no idea whatsoever I just used it as a backdrop. I’ve only three days to go with the calendar… people seem to like it though.

With "er indoors TM" off at her works Christmas party I was left “home alone” with the dogs. We watched more “Prison Break”. Or that is I did. Fudge and Treacle slept on either side of me, and Pogo watched from the other sofa. He looked as though he was about to cry. There was room for him with us, but he sat and sulked.
I worry too much about these dogs… 

No comments:

Post a Comment