13 October 2017 (Friday) - Between the Night Shifts

The night shift went reasonably well; I generally don’t mind the night work; it’s just that the day off before and after (when I can’t really do much) can be rather lonely.
(Having said that, tonight’s will probably be horrific…)
Mind you getting home from work this morning was terrible. What with the road works in Hermitage Lane it took seemingly forever to get from work to the motorway. What can be a five-minute trip took over an hour.

Once home I walked the dogs round the park; we didn’t meet any other dogs, the Jehovah’s Witnesses weren’t there, the walk was really uneventful. Which wasn’t a bad thing. With walk done I did my morning ablutions and went to sleep for as much as I could.
I got up just after four o’clock and watched an episode of “Gotham” then had a quick look at the Internet to see what I’d missed.

I see that the Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is to return to the radio next year. My initial reaction was (to quote the bowl of petunias) “Oh no, not again”.
I first heard the radio show in the late 1970s. I say “radio show”; my best friend at the time would make tape recordings and I would listen to those.
Then the books were released. The later ones were rather good, but the first ones were re-hashes of what had been on the radio.
Then there was a TV series for people who can’t listen or read (!) which was by now just the same old story.
And after a break of several years there was a movie which was again the same old story with the same old jokes.
I’m told that next year’s radio is to feature new material. I hope so. The original stuff has been done to death.

As I mooched round the Internet my mobile went mental with texts from the vets about how the dogs are due for their flea treatment. Their system sends these texts at random; I’ve complained to the vets before and they say it is nothing to do with them. I tried phoning their head office this afternoon; they gave me an email address to contact. I dropped them a line – I wonder what will come of it.

I’m off to work again soon… once "er indoors TM" has done dinner. I wonder how busy the roads will be…

No comments:

Post a Comment