26 October 2017 (Thursday) - Squabbles



I was rather tired last night; it was a shame that the puppy chose to spend much of the night stomping over me. I got up and wasn’t impressed to trip over one of my shoes that she had been chewing.
Over brekkie I watched the fourth episode of “The Expanse”; I think I’m now at the stage where I will carry on watching it because I’ve come this far and it would be a shame to stop. It is entertaining enough, but in order to maintain an aura of mystery, the writers have created very uninspiring two-dimensional characters. The show might improve. Here’s hoping.

I then had a look at the Internet. I’d received a private message from someone who’d posted on one of the national geocaching pages. The chap had asked for advice, and I was the only person who hadn’t responded with sarcasm. Kite flying, snake-herding and astronomy in the past, Star Trek fandom yesterday, geocaching today… why does everything have to be one big nasty squabble?
I was particularly incensed about the geo-squabble though. One of the leading protagonists was (and usually is) one of the dozen or so national reviewers who really should know better.

And so to work through a very wet morning. As I drove it became clear that it wasn't just me who finds that social media is little more than arguments. The pundits on the radio were saying that more and more people are finding Facebook to be depressing. This is especially a problem with children who are finding it impossible to get away from the petty squabbles and niggles of school.
I'm reminded of the Babel Fish in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy which, by improving communication beyond anyone's wildest dreams, was directly responsible for the worst wars in history.

But social media can hardly be blamed for human nature. I blame the schools.
Why can't people (from a young age) be taught how to conduct a disagreement. I was taught the principles of a reasoned discussion at school. "I disagree with you for the following reasons..." and then actually listening to the response you get rather than getting all personal and nasty because someone else thinks differently to you.
I might have asked this before... In fact I'm getting tired of asking this.

Once I deliberately had a very active social life.  In the past I created clubs for astronomy, snake-herding, star trekking. I would organise all sorts of events and activities... and  unfortunately an integral part of that was dealing with the squabbles that went with it. These days  (more and more) I find myself actively avoiding any bickering by keeping to myself  and a select group of friends and family. (And effectively working a five-day shift pattern has compounded this recently)
I must stop being so reclusive and start being more sociable again...

I was amazed to hear about how the Navy are dealing with cuts to the defence budget by selling three frigates.
Surely in this age of international terrorism, the national news is hardly the place to be discussing the country's defence strategy?

I got to work; we had a good day. I say "we" - I certainly did. There was cake. And with the good day done I came home, walked the dogs, and waited for "er indoors TM" and "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" to come home from shopping.
I’m in for a long wait…

No comments:

Post a Comment