19 October 2017 (Thursday) - Computers, Machines...

I went to sleep last night with Fudge's chin on my shoulder, I woke to find the puppy was there this morning. They must have swapped in the night.
Over brekkie I watched another episode of "Red Dwarf", and seeing nothing much had happened on the Internet overnight I set off to work rather earlier than I might have done. I was taking no chances with the traffic.

As I drove the pundits on the radio were discussing the Brexit negotiations. There is a growing feeling that the European negotiators are deliberately dragging their heels and that Britain should make the announcement that there will be no agreement when the UK leaves the EU so that businesses can prepare for the worst. The implication was that any agreement that might be reached in the meantime would be a bonus. Would it be? I don't really know. But it does amaze me how these things can just drag on.
Mind you, what with rising inflation and Sterling falling, several independent international experts are recommending that Britain not go through with Brexit at all. Personally I can't help but think it is too late for that. As a nation we've made a rather stupid decision. But having gone this far the UK needs to go through with it. Going back on the scheme will leave the UK with no credibility in the EU at all.

Meanwhile the boffins at Google have created an artificial intelligence which really does learn for itself. I wonder if this effectively makes all the hot air about Brexit and other political trivia somewhat redundant?

I had a good run to work, but I wasn't impressed when I got to Hermitage Lane. There wasn't a single person working at the road works which are causing the delays. There rarely is. There are often people in hi-vis jackets standing around the area talking to each other and into their phones. There are often people in hi-vis jackets over the road in McDonalds. But people in hi-vis jackets getting their hands dirty by actually doing the road works?
The sooner there's one or two more there, the sooner I can get to work in less than an hour.

I got to work, and did my bit. I got to work much earlier than I had originally intended. I had been expecting to be on the late shift today, but late yesterday afternoon I was asked if I could swap my shift. Being an obliging kind of guy I agreed. Much as I like the late start of the late shift, the late finish can be just a tad too late. What really bugs me about the late finish is driving round the roads at home at nearly ten o'clock at night desperately hunting for a parking space, and then finding the only place I can park is three streets away from home.
In much the same vein of being helpful I've agreed to do tomorrow's night shift as a colleague has gone down with the two bob bits.

With my bit I came home. Again there was no one doing any work on the road works in Hermitage Lane. What could be a five minute journey takes half an hour because of the absentee workmen.
Once home I took the dogs for a short walk. Fudge had a funny five minutes at one point. When we were at the furthest point from home he stopped and refused to take another step. He simply would not budge. After a little coaxing and cajoling I carried him for fifty yards before trying him again. He then walked fine. I wonder what that was all about?

"er indoors TM" boiled up some dinner, and we scoffed it whilst watching the telly. Not a bad way to spend the evening…

No comments:

Post a Comment