4 August 2013 (Sunday) - Wonderland

I slept well, not surprisingly, and got up shortly before 8am. I took one look at the carnage in the garden, and thought about going back to bed. But only thought about it. I got the washing machine to do its thing and after a bit of brekkie we set about tidying the garden, As is always the case the mess looked a lot worse than it was, and after an hour or so's fiddling about things were in far better order.
The door bell rang - it was the chap from up the road. Did we have his ladder? We didn't. I'd borrowed it a year or so ago for half an hour and had returned it. In the meantime someone has walked into this chap's back garden (going through other people's gardens as they went) and stolen a ladder. It was a large ladder. How can anyone steal a ladder?

The first fruit of my loin arrived shortly after 10.30am, looking slightly the worse for wear. I blame all the lager he poured down his neck last night. Whilst his mother showered we tidied up the shed a little. I’ve been nagging him about his fishing gear being in the way for months. For month he’s been assuring me that there were no loose baits in the shed. We found loads of loose baits, all of which have been ratted. Now the bait is all gone perhaps the rats will go as well.

We loaded up our bags and set off to Folkestone where we collected the most recent fruit of my loin, and we went for a little stroll to the harbour. You can’t beat a plate of cockles at the seaside. "Daddies Little Angel TM" and the Rear Admiral then said their goodbyes and we walked on the the coastal park where we met up with the Hose Beast. We had a picnic lunch, then got on with the main business of the day. Someone had stolen the Red Queen’s tarts. Alice was the main suspect and was due to be beheaded in an hour’s time unless detectives could find the real culprit.

Alice at the Coastal Park” was a wonderful day out. I’d seen it advertised and had no idea what to expect. Folkestone’s last venture along these lines, the sci-fi day, was rather lame. But Wonderland was really good. Any child who wanted to join in was given a list of suspects to interview, and we followed Lacey up and down the park as she sought out Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, the caterpillar, the Knave of Hearts and the White Rabbit. We met the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the Dormouse having tea, and we saluted as the Red King and Queen came past accompanied by their card guards. We spoke with Alice, and told her not to worry; we’d get the guilty party. Or that is Lacy told her not to worry. I told her that I was with the Queen – “Off with her head!” We later learned that "Daddies Little Angel TM" had met the Red Queen shortly after they’d left us – the Red Queen had pointed at little Sid and announced “Off with his head!

After an hour of searching we made our way to the outdoor amphitheatre where all the actors who’d been doing their thing up and down the park came together for the trial of Alice. They put on a wonderful show; it was really good. It was plain that a lot of effort had gone into their performance. It was only a shame that the "Great Unwashed" wouldn’t control their brats; one child was walking all about the amphitheatre whilst the actors were doing their thing. This errant brat was returned to the audience so many times, and each time it just wandered back to get in the way again. But wayward children aside it was an excellent day out. I do hope they do more of this sort of thing. As always there are photos of the day to be seen if you know where to look.

And so home (via a quick cache in Kingsnorth Gardens). As er indoors TM" went off bowling I did more washing up and cleared up some dog sick. I don’t think "Furry Face TM" likes the heat. Mind you I’m sure he’d rather be with us then left at home. I offered him water regularly through the afternoon. He didn’t seem to want much water, but now he’s been sick.
Or was it not the heat at all. Was it all the fat he’d licked out of a frying pan I just found half way down the garden…

No comments:

Post a Comment