28 August 2020 (Friday) - Before the Night Shift

I woke to the sound of Fudge squeaking; he needed a tiddle. He’s a good boy and won’t just “go” inside. I let him out only to find torrential rain. That was a pain in the glass.

I made toast, and peered into the internet. Not a lot had happened overnight really. A cousin was singing the praises of the “Lord of the Rings” book(s). I wish I could see the attraction. So many people rave about Tolkein and I just find him tedious. For me the books just drag on with the author never using one word when twenty would do. Viz magazine once described "Lord of the Rings" as “ninety-five per cent adjectives, four per cent silly names and one per cent plot”, and that is a pretty accurate summary.

I want to like the books.

 

Pretty much nothing else had happened overnight at all. I had a look at my emails – my combined leccie and gas bill has gone up by twelve more quid each month, even though the people at the power company admitted that they couldn’t read my SmartMeter and asked if I could read it for them.

And someone had been out looking for the geocaches I hid a few weeks ago, and on having found them all had said nice things about them.

 

I got the dogs on to their leads and seeing a glorious blue sky (despite the BBC forecasting ninety-nine per cent chance of rain) I took them down to Orlestone Woods where we had a rather good walk. Pogo and Treacle charged about like mad things, and Fudge joined in the game from time to time. When he joins in the game, Treacle and Pogo automatically slow down so that he can keep up.

 

We came home, and I finished painting the gnomes. I think they look rather good. I scrubbed a couple more gnomes in preparation for more painting and looked at the garden. I had planned to paint the fence, but it was soaked from the overnight rain. It needed to dry out a bit before painting and more rain was on the way. So I popped to the corner shop for a croissant, and wrote up some CPD. Have you looked at my CPD diary? I wouldn’t bother. It is dull in the extreme and makes this drivel look interesting. But the thing gets no end of visits. There’s about twenty or thirty people who follow it. I can only (rather cynically) wonder if they are copying it rather than producing their own CPD?

 

During a lull in the rain I popped into the garden and spent a few minutes hacking back the overgrowth from “not-so-nice-next-door”; I filled a dustbin with the rose branches and clematis and other climbing plants that she insists on growing, then made myself some dinner (toast) and went to bed for the afternoon.

What with needing a tiddle, thunder, hail, and the nice man from DHL I didn’t sleep that well.

 

I made a start on baiting my second consignment of gnomes… I say “gnomes”; I think these two are elves. No beards and pointy ears – is that the difference? I’m no expert on gnomes but I can see that changing.

I’m hoping "er indoors TM" will boil up some dinner, then I’m off to the night shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment