14 August 2020 (Friday) - Day Off - Hurt Back

 

 

The dustmen woke me as they came crashing up the road at six o’clock. There seems to be two different mentalities involved with people who are up early. Either they feel that they should be quiet and respect those who don’t have to be up, or they feel that if they are up, then so should everyone else be up. A good friend of mine used to have the second attitude; whenever his baby woke in the small hours he would phone everyone to tell them that he was up, and honestly could see nothing wrong in doing so.

I suggested to "er indoors TM" that we might take the dogs out as we were awake; she went back to sleep.

 

I made toast and shared it with Fudge (the only one who didn’t go back to bed) and peered into the Internet. Squabbles were still rumbling on the Geocaching UK page. Some like the fun of hunting film pots under rocks; others like the fun of policing how everyone else does it.

Squabbles were still rumbling on the Lego pages. Some have no issue with buying the fake Lego sets (because they are cheap); others see it as the end of the world.

 

I took the dogs down to Orlestone for a walk. We had a good walk in that we only met a couple of other people and we had no dog-squabbles at all. We met a couple of young lads who were fascinated by Pogo and Treacle; most people are fascinated by cocker-pugs.

 

With walk walked I went on a little shopping spree. To Pets at Home for dog biscuits and goldfish food, and then to B&Q for paint brushes and some guttering. Not one member of staff in B&Q was wearing any face covering; I asked the chap on the till about it and wished I hadn’t. Apparently shop staff don’t have to wear face coverings, it’s the law… he didn’t actually tell me to stick a face covering up my bum, but that was his tone.

I came home and spent a little while pootling in the garden. Pausing only briefly to dispose of a dead pigeon (!) I tidied up and swept up, then I got busy with the guttering I’d bought. For all that I’ve buried the pond filter’s electrical cables in the shingle, they keep coming up again. So I had this plan to saw a length of guttering to size and use it to hold the cable in place under the shingle. It was a shame that the hacksaw snapped whilst I was cutting the guttering to shape but I eventually got the job done.

I then painted one of the new fence panels and touched up another. None of the work was particularly arduous, but I couldn’t walk at the end of it; my back was so painful.

 

I rested my back for a bit, then drove down to Tenterden. I needed supplies from the brewery. I came home via Matalan. They do good clothes at a good price, but (it has to be said) they don’t cater for those of the more rotund physique.

Feeling that my back was better than it was I pootled a little more in the garden, which was silly. I should have rested it more. But despite backache I got the garden a little more sorted, and I then did my packing for my hollibobs.

 

We popped round to Asda to get freshly cooked pizza, hen had an evening with "My Boy TM" and his branch of the tribe. Sitting in the garden, scoffing pizza… we had a good evening.

I’ve programmed “Hannah” for tomorrow… I hope my back is better in the morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment