4 August 2020 (Tuesday) - Oh Deer



With nowhere near enough milk (wonder where that went!) I had toast for brekkie which I devoured whilst watching more “Good Girls” on Netflix. I’d forgotten how good that series was.
Once the lap-top started working I peered into the Internet. I saw that two friends had birthdays today. Ostensibly born on the same day forty-odd years ago I would have said that one was fifteen years older than the other. (Am I being uncharitable?). Again I saw many of the same Facebook posts appearing on so many different Facebook pages.

With very little of note appearing on Facebook I had a look at the Munzee map to see if I might plan a like mission to capture a lot of the old Munzees. But the special icon wasn’t visible on the map today. It turns out they only appear on the map on dates which are multiples of three and five. Go figure (both figuratively and literally!)
Leaving Fudge (and everyone else) snoring I got ready for work.

I took a little diversion into the Godinton estate to stick a Munzee onto a lamp post (I'm told there are those in that part of the world who appreciate that sort of thing), then set off up the motorway to work. As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about a recent spate of thefts of agricultural machinery and livestock. Apparently farms all over the country have had all sorts of equipment stolen which has then been smuggled out of the country and has ended up on the black market in Eastern Europe.  And entire flocks of sheep have been stolen, butchered and the meat sold off.
Now I can only think I am missing something here. How does one successfully smuggle a tractor out of the country? How does one steal a flock of over a hundred sheep? Apparently this is being done quite successfully at the moment.

There was also talk of American Presidential hopeful Joe Biden. Looking set to be the next president of the United States, his tactic seems to be to sit quietly and let Donald Trump talk (tweet) himself out of the White House. It would seem to be a very successful tactic. Mr Biden isn't actually trying to win the presidential election; he is just letting President Trump is get on with doing his level best to lose it. The American Presidential election really does seem to be proof of the old adage "better to keep quiet and be thought a fool rather than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt".

I got to work; I did my thing. I spent half an hour doing fire safety e-training. I escaped as quickly as I could. I had a theory that being on an early finish meant I might get to Aldi whilst it was quiet. Aldi wasn’t busy, but I was amazed at the approach being taken to facial coverings. Most customers had them on, (albeit with their noses poking out over the top), but not a single member of staff was wearing one. I asked Aldi UK (via their Facebook page) why not. I bet they don’t reply.

I came home with most of the shopping I had been instructed to get then, ably assisted (supervised) by "er indoors TM" I took the dogs down to Orlestone Woods where we had a good walk. As we walked we saw a deer. Just one. I’ve never seen them in Orlestone woods before. According to the British Deer Society Ashford is about as far eastwards as deer go in the UK. Mind you there’s loads in Kings Wood and that’s even more east, so what do they know? I was surprised to only see one deer; I thought they came in herds. but the Internet says they are solitary animals.

With walk walked we all came home. I tried to get the green paint off of Pogo’s ear but he wouldn’t let me pick at it. Over the weekend "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" had announced that he was going to paint the dogs. Fudge and Treacle ran and hid but Pogo (silly lump) loved the attention.

I’m getting peckish… wonder what’s for dinner…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment