27 August 2020 (Thursday) - Dull

I had something of a traumatic night plagued by nightmares in which having caught the world record carp (weighing in at one hundred and thirty-one pounds) this fish was incredibly camera-shy and flatly refused to have its photo taken. Have you ever had a stand-up row with a carp which is bigger than you are? It was unsettling, to say the least.

I made myself a bowl of granola for brekkie, had one mouthful and threw it away; the milk had turned overnight.  Am I alone in thinking that if you get milk from the huge chain supermarkets then it lasts forever, but if you support the local farmers by getting the local stuff from the local shops then it goes rancid in only a day or so? I'm all for supporting local businesses, but they've got to hold up their end of the deal. Perhaps they *don't* fill their stuff full of preservatives and other dangerous chemicals? All very laudable, but it still goes manky too quickly.

So I made toast and scoffed it whilst watching an episode of "Good Girls"; I do like that show, but I wish I knew what was going on. Having fannied around wasting time making another brekkie I didn't have time for my usual look at Facebook and set off for work.

 

As I drove up a very busy motorway the pundits on the radio were talking about how some senior civil servants have been sacked; presumably taking the rap for the recent school exams debacle. Rather unfair really, since the whole idea of the civil service is they just enact the decisions of government. they don't do anything of their own initiative. Have these ones gone rogue, or are they taking the blame?

There was also an interview with one of the head honchos at Rolls Royce who are making job cuts as their business has lost millions due to the Coronageddon pandemic. It amazed me that this was presented as surprising. with the aviation industry facing its biggest downturn in years, does anyone expect the makers of aeroplane engines to be making a fortune?

 

I got to work and did my bit. There were one or two "issues" at work... nothing serious really, but the sort of "issues" that management deal with. I sat back and reminisced that back in the day I would be sorting those "issues" and was rather pleased that now this is all somebody else's problem.

 

An early start made for an early finish. I had plans for that early finish. I was going to take the dogs to the woods and then I was going to paint some of the new fence panels, But it was pouring hard so instead I brought some iced buns home and we scoffed them as the washing machine had a go at my shirts. I got some more colours of paint onto the gnomes, then as "er indoors TM" tuned into to the weekly geo-meet I got my ironing done.

 

Today was a tad dull…


No comments:

Post a Comment