4 September 2017 (Monday) - Nutters

When the puppy sleeps at the foot of the bed all is well at night. Last night she decided to fight me for my space, and the entire night was somewhat fraught.
Over brekkie I watched an episode of “Dad’s Army” that the SkyPlus box had recorded for me over the weekend. The episode didn’t work. Tv shows only work when the characters are believable. This is how sci-fi and fantasy shows work; what would “normal” people do in unbelievable circumstances? Today’s episode of “Dad’s Army” had the platoon staging a mutiny to go play darts. This is utterly at odds with the characters which had been developed over the years. It didn’t work.
I turned it off to find that Sky Arts was broadcasting a performance of Sarah Brightman. Having lost her heart to a starship trooper some forty years ago she is now a leading light in the operatic world. She was howling like a banshee this morning, and wasn’t at all worried about flaunting a heaving bosom. Wikipedia told me she is four years older than me; on the TV performance she looked thirty years younger.

With nothing of note having happened on Facebook overnight and with no emails at all I got dressed; taking care to let sleeping dogs lie. I set off to work.  As I drove through a dull wet morning the pundits on the radio were talking about the hydrogen bomb that the North Koreans had detonated over the weekend. There seemed to be uncertainty as to whether it was "just" a plain atom bomb (fission reaction) or actually a proper hydrogen bomb (fusion reaction). Does it matter? In many ways the exact nature of the weapon is irrelevant. The bottom line is that an uncontrolled manic has his hands on some rather dangerous kit.
Mind you in America much the same could be said of President Trump. The Chinese (of all people) are trying to mediate between the two nut cases and finding it hard work.
As a teenager I joined the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. The bombs  are dangerous enough; never in our wildest dreams did we think the bombs would end up in the hands of nutters.
Mind you I have to question the sanity of pretty much everyone in authority over this matter. Those being interviewed on the radio this morning were talking about the financial implications of nuclear armageddon as though the only impact of a nuclear holocaust would be on the world's markets.
Meanwhile workers in two branches of McDonalds have gone on strike.

I got to work early; there was a morphology training/refresher session this morning. Pyruvate kinase deficiency, malaria, lead poisoning... all good stuff (provided you don't have them). I then had a rather productive (if tiring) day.​

Once home I walked the dogs round the park. Both were difficult as only dogs can be. And with "er indoors TM" off bowling I watched last night’s episode of “Victoria”. I wonder just how accurate that show is? I really should read more history. After all, I write enough of the stuff…


No comments:

Post a Comment