13 September 2017 (Wednesday) - Exploring


I woke at 3am to find the bedroom effectively flood-lit. I lay awake getting more and more worked up about how bright the lights around the hotel pool were. After twenty minutes I got up and pulled the curtain.
A novel approach, but one that worked.

I was wide awake and raring to go at about 6.30am, but what with time zones and all that malarkey everyone else’s body-clocks told them it was only 4.30am. I opened our patio and was amazed to see the beautiful view; no one had told me there were mountains around us. I alternated between reading my book and looking at the scenery for an hour or so before I went round banging on people’s doors.
Brekkie was good. There was so much to choose from; toast, all sorts of breads and cheeses, fruit, cereals, omelettes, fry-up… I went for what I called the “Full Greek”; a bit like the Full English, but with olives and peppers.

We got our swimmies on, and had a little splash in the hotel pool before walking (for about five minutes) to the nearby water park. The “Aquatica” water park  was one of the island’s major tourist attractions and we had unlimited access to it. There were water slides, there were water plummets, there was a water-spinny-round-go-down-the-plughole-thingy. And there were two rides that seemed to involve sheer drops. It was a shame that I went on everything but it was on the kiddies lazy river that I managed to give my head a serious clout.

We had a rather good Greek salad for lunch; but we could have had pretty much anything we liked. And with lunch scoffed we walked to the beach. We were spoiled for choice; our apartments opened onto a rather good pool. The water park was five minutes away and the beach was even closer.
I had a rather good go with my face-mask-snorkel that "My Boy TM" had bought me; there were so amny fish to see, and I watched a starfish fighting with a crab. And as the girls pedalo-ed, "My Boy TM" and I had a go on the kayaks.

Kayaking was hard work; we went and sat by the pool bar and admired the chest of a young German lady for a few minutes until the water polo started. Every afternoon the hotel staff organised a game of water polo. Two Greek lads organised an international gaggle of players; all of whom spoke to each other in English; the language of the country that is walking away from all of them. (Go figure!)

We then took a couple of taxis down to Kardemena (the nearby village) where we had a good mooch about. "er indoors TM" got a sun-hat and some sunglasses; I got a bandanna and an ice cream. We found a geocache outside a shop with was effectively being used by the shopkeeper to drum up trade. We chatted with a local travel agent who was originally from south London but had been living on Kos for twenty-five years.

Back to the hotel for a rather good dinner, then after a few gin and tonics we went up to the amphitheatre where scantily clad Greek ladies were performing the “Africa” show.
Oh dear…
Most of our number walked out after a few minutes because it was so bad. "er indoors TM" and I stayed to the end. It was so bad it was actually quite good.
We then made our way back to the bar where we poured gin and tonic down our necks until midnight. Not a bad way to spend a day…


And there’s some photos here

No comments:

Post a Comment