25 September 2017 (Monday) - Birthdays, Netflix

After another frankly terrible night’s sleep (thanks to the puppy) I got up early and got angry. Last night I struggled and failed to set up a Netflix account. The thing wouldn’t accept any method of payment whatsoever. Finally it turned out that the bank wouldn’t allow any payments to Netflix. This is apparently their standard policy

After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with someone in Mumbai whose spoken English clearly wasn’t up to having a job which involved speaking English the bank explained what had gone wrong. It is a security feature for which I was supposed to be grateful. The idea is (supposedly) that you try to set up a Netflix account and when the payment is declined you phone the bank who then allow you to sign up. Eventually they assured me that all was good at their end. By then it was midnight so I went to bed and got up to find it was still not working this morning.
Over brekkie I phoned Netflix who told me that because I’d tried to join and failed, as a security feature they’d locked me out. The lock-out period ends at 9pm this evening (just as I start the night shift).
Bearing in mind that I need a Netflix account to watch the latest incarnation of Star Trek that was due to air at 8am this morning I wasn’t impressed.
There are those to whom watching Star Trek is a matter of the utmost triviality. I am not one of those people.

I drove round to the garage; one of the headlights on my car wasn’t working. They fixed it for free; that was something of a result. As it was on the way back I stopped off at "Daddy’s Little Angel TM"’s.  "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" was claiming it was his birthday (it wasn’t; it was his dog’s) and we spent an hour doing tip runs to get rid of their old sofa.
I then drove into town. It took some doing what with all the road works, but eventually I got to the bank. I had intended to have a complain to them; no one was available.

As it was his birthday I called in on "My Boy TM" and got some birthday cake. We watched a bit of Dragon’ Den, then I came home and walked my dogs round the park. I then wrote a formal letter of complaint to the bank. I would have rather discussed the matter informally; I gave them the chance. I’ve not been happy with how they have messed about with statement dates over the last few months, and I’m spitting bullets about about the Netflix debacle. If they won’t honour my card with Netflix, what else will they choose to turn down for me as a “service”? I’ve also told then that NatWest have assured my it wouldn’t have happened with them.

I took myself off to bed for the afternoon. It never fails to amaze me how the little puppy can curl up and sleep peacefully with me during the afternoons, but she is so restless at night.
I got about an hour’s sleep before the bank’s fraud department woke me to ask if it was me who tried to pay for a Netflix account last night. They were mortified when I pointed out just how useless they had been over the last few hours.

I tried to get back to sleep; I didn’t really sleep much after that. I gave up trying to sleep at 4pm, and watched last night’s episode of “Victoria” as I quietly fussed the dogs. Treacle seemed completely oblivious that today was her birthday.

"er indoors TM" should be home soon. Hopefully she’ll boil up some dinner before the night shift…


No comments:

Post a Comment