6 July 2020 (Monday) - This n That


I slept for over eight hours last night. That rarely happens. I made myself a bowl of granola and watched an episode of “Pure”. I watched the first episode a week or so ago and wasn’t impressed – the second episode was much better.
I then sparked up my lap-top… and rebooted it again. Eventually it started working properly. I had my usual rummage on Facebook including having a look at the identical postings on both of the local geocaching groups. Since the demise of the original local geo-group two new groups have sprung up. They aren’t in competition at all, but rather than using one group in preference to the other, most people seem to be posting the same stuff to both. It would be nice if we only had one, but better two than none, I suppose.
Unknown” was still sending me obscene emails, so I’ve tweaked the blog settings. Hopefully I’ve put a stop to that nonsense.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how the government have allocated one billion and a half billion quid for "the arts". A life-line has been thrown to the arty-farty theatres which looked set to go bankrupt because they are struggling to keep afloat what with the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions which forbid them from opening.
Meanwhile the government has published a list of acceptable holiday destinations.
It seems odd that people can sit next to each other on an aeroplane but can't sit next to each other in a theatre.
"Thought For The Day" was equally odd. Some leading light in the world of Catholic studies had been wheeled on to blather platitudes. Apparently the churches had all re-opened yesterday. This woman who was blathering was saying how it was nice to have someone else leading the God-bothering because it gave all the women a rest. It was claimed that over the last few months women had been taking on the role of "priest" (in various support bubbles) what with churches being closed. You would have thought that a leading light in the world of Catholic studies would have known that women are specifically forbidden from being priests in the Catholic church, wouldn't you?
Meanwhile with over a hundred earthquakes in the area recently the super-volcano in Yellowstone Park would seem to be about to go Ka-Boom... or is it.
The headline has you believe that an Earth-shattering (literally) event is about to take place but when you read the article one of the experts says "So in fact, we're sort of on the low side of average this month."
This is exactly the scaremongering that had no one take the COVID-19 crisis seriously, isn't it?

I got to work, and once i'd deployed (as one does) I spent much of the day peering down a microscope where I seemed to be using the word "anisopoikilocytosis" a lot. I suspect that I was in a minority by doing so. I wonder whether that had anything to do with the headache that lasted all morning.
As I worked I had an email. The bosses had thought that the entire workforce might benefit from reading "Living with worry and anxiety amidst global uncertainty".
At first it sounds rather hippy-tree-hugging nonsense, but there's one or two useful snippets in there. And reading it made a nice change from doing work.

With work done I set off to Aldi where the staff there were far more welcoming than they were the last time I visited. I got some vital supplies (wine, port and amaretto) then came home.
"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner, and we spent far too long sniggering at poor Treacle who was snapping at a particularly annoying fly…
I’m glad my headache has finally gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment