12 July 2020 (Sunday) - Chislet


I got up taking great care to be quiet. "er indoors TM" came downstairs two minutes later, let the dogs into the garden then ran round shouting after them, and pretended to be surprised when "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM"  were wide awake two minutes later.
I had a look at the Internet – the photos I’d posted of "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" yesterday had got a lot of interest. Not a lot else had happened overnight so I programmed “Hannah” and as everyone started swarming about I got the dogs together and took them out. With everyone else visiting friends today I had better things to be doing.

I got the dogs into the car and off we went. As we drove the pundits on the radio were talking about “sport radio” stations in America where people phone in and argue about sporting events with the presenters. Apparently these radio stations have never been more popular even though all organised sport in America is on hold.
We drove out to Chislet where I met Karl, Tracey and Charlotte. We set off on a rather good walk. There had been series of geocaches in the area before, but they had run their course and had been replaced with new ones. I keep saying it but I wish more people would do this.
The marshes are a rather beautiful place to go visit. As we walked we saw a heron, and a couple of buzzards. The dogs saw some ducks and tried to give chase. The ducks went up in the air at the very last minute and having left it to the last minute Pogo and Treacle didn’t have time to stop. They went head first into the drainage ditch.
This wouldn’t have been such a problem if the drainage ditch had actually been doing any draining. It wasn’t. The water in it was just standing there and was rather stagnant. Oh how it stank. And matters weren’t helped by the steep banks out of which poor Pogo couldn’t climb. Treacle got out but Pogo was stuck. I nearly went in myself when trying to rescue him.

As we walked we met some old friends. It was good to catch up and chat for a bit. The dogs’ reaction to them was interesting. The dogs greeted them as old friends, and we walked for a while. When we sat down for a picnic the dogs barked and growled at them… until they too sat down at which point we were all best buddies again. (So much so that “we” went and scrounged the cheese from Martyn’s sandwich).
Were the dogs guarding our picnic site? Did they see it as “home”? And when out friends sat down did that make them “part of the gang” again”?
I’d love to know what goes through the dogs’ heads.

Geocache-wise this was one of the better walks. Admittedly there was one stretch of overgrown footpath, but with good co-ordinates and helpful hints we were quickly able to locate that which we sought. The caches were a decent size, and were spaced pretty much as close together as is allowed. Definitely one to be recommended.

I took a few photos as we walked (as I do). Once I’d got home and bathed the dogs I posted them to the Internet. "er indoors TM" then came home, announced that the dogs stank, and bathed them all again.
"Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" and I went out into the garden where he set about all the statues in the garden with his water pistol to show them who was boss. He then had something of a tantrum over his dinner, and "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" is currently settling him down in the tent. He seems to like it out there. I just hope he doesn’t have any ideas about a “camping on a camp site” holiday…

No comments:

Post a Comment