9 August 2026 (Sunday) - FTF, Working, Hot

I woke far earlier than I needed to and lay awake for too long. I eventually got up, made toast and had a stroke of genius (I do that from time to time). Last night a new puzzle geocache had gone live not *that* far from work but I had no idea how to solve the puzzle. But this morning I had an idea. Going on-line to blag a copy of the second Harry Potter book gave me the numbers I wanted and the geo-checker said my answer was correct.  And it was on the way to work (sort-of).
 
As I drove off to find this cache there was some right old tripe on the radio. There was a lot of talk about some Russian bishop who was supposedly getting backhanders from Vladimir Putin. There were two theories as to why this might be. Either the bishop had some gossip on Vlad, or Vlad was sucking up to the Almighty.
And there was an interview with one of the head honchos at the Mother's Union  which is a sort of religious version of the Women's Institute. The woman being interviewed seemed to be rather jealous of the W.I. for no reason that I could fathom. I gave up listening to the drivel on the radio. Sunday morning radio is usually on the rubbish side (at best).  I listened to Adrian Mole on MP3 instead. This morning he was squabbling with the love of his life. Some things are universal...
It wasn't long before I was in some obscure back street near Sevenoaks. There was no one about, I rummaged on a street sign and soon had the geocache I was hunting. And no one else had got there before me. I was First to Find. Result. Go me.
As I drove on to work there were a few spots of rain on the windscreen. A tiny shower. Not much, but some rain. And then I noticed the roads were awash. That wasn't rain. That was leaking pipes. You'd think that what with all this talk of drought and water shortages the water companies would be on the case wouldn't you? The trouble is that they are on the case. Their case being making money for foreign investors. Sadly the days when a UK water company had actually providing water as its main raison d'etre are long gone.
 
I got to work. I thought better of the cooked brekkie as it gave me belly-ache last time. Instead I popped into the works M&S and got myself a croissant then got on with the morning.
The original plan for today had been a little wander round Eastling doing a few geocaches to finish off the current set of geocaching Treasures. But on Friday the boss had phoned. There had been a minor staffing disaster at work and she’d had to ask people to swap shifts about. And having solved her immediate staffing issue she would need someone to step into the breach this morning. Could I help?
Oh, go on then. I didn’t mind really. If I did I wouldn’t have spent a life in hospital work, would I? And the weather forecast was against doing much today. It had been rather warm yesterday and the forecast was for thirty degrees from mid-day onwards.
According to my car’s thermometer it was thirty-three degrees when I finished and came home.
 
I drove slowly through the “Operation Brock” stupidity, and once home we had a cheese roll for lunch. You can’t go wrong with a cheese roll.
We spent the afternoon sitting in the garden (in the shade) until “er indoors TM set off on cat duty. I had a shower, put some washing in, and wrote up some CPD.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching more “Bake Off: The Professionals”. And then we started watching Ann Droid. Bearing in mind the writers and the cast, the first episode was a tad disappointing.
It might perk up though. Here’s hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment