I slept better last night but again woke feeling
rather morose. I made toast and had my little look at the Internet. There were
quite a few photos of people going on holiday and being on holiday. I was
rather envious of the people being on holiday, but not of those going. A subtle
difference? It’s the travelling that I don’t like. I’m quite regretting not
having arranged to go to the week-long geocaching event that’s on now in
Norfolk, but it’s three hours and a hundred and sixty miles away.
I had a snarky email. At the weekend I downloaded a
glucose-measuring app on my phone. It was rubbish. It asked loads of questions
but didn’t measure anything (well obviously it couldn’t on a phone) so I
said as much in my review. The people who made it had taken umbrage.
I Munzed, Wordled from “miles” via “brine”,
“tripe” and “cripe” to “gripe”. A rather appropriate word
for me…
I got the leads onto the dogs. As I started the car it
sounded a tad sluggish but at the time I thought nothing of it. As I drove I
listened to the pundits on the radio who were talking about Professor Jason Arday who has resigned from
Cambridge University over allegations of plagiarism. I don’t know what
Professor Arday did or didn’t do, but one of the allegations against him was
that he claimed to have written and published a particular book which he
hadn’t. Some chum of his was wheeled on to defend him. I wish I knew who this
pal of his was; this chap felt there was nothing wrong with claiming to have
written a book when you hadn’t. This chap said he’d planned to write books
himself which he hadn’t, and implied that the intention to write a book was
synonymous with actually writing one.
We got to the woods and once we were away from the car
park we had a good walk. We hid another geocache in the woods (I wasn’t
happy with the one I put out yesterday). As we turned a corner we saw a
deer not ten yards away. We chased squirrels and rabbits.
Sadly we knew when we were getting back to the car.
The noise level definitely went up as all the families going on their annual
dog walk were shouting at each other. Despite only being inches apart they
could have been heard miles away.
We got back to the car… and it eventually started.
Once the thing eventually leapt into life it have me a warning message that the
battery was on the low side.
I dropped the dogs at home and drove round to
Halfords. The nice man got his gadget out and showed me that my battery was
deficient in both volts and amps. But he said he wasn’t surprised – he said it
looked like it was the car’s original battery which would make it eleven years
old.
He said he could sell me a new battery and fit it, but
said that if I joined their premium club it would actually be fifteen quid
cheaper. So I joined their premium club, got the discount, and not only do I
now get money off from other things I buy in Halfords, I get a free MOT too.
That’s a bonus.
I came home and made us both a cuppa, then sorted the
admin for the new geocache we hid today. It took over an hour
to devise what I hope is a particularly fiendish puzzle. I have this theory
about geocaching puzzles… everyone whinges on saying how that difficult puzzles
are all part of the game, but hardly anyone can ever solve the tricky ones. To
illustrate this contention I put one out last year.
It’s been found four times.
“er indoors TM” boiled
up bread rolls which we scoffed with the last of the weekend’s cheese, then I
had a minor pootle in the garden. The sleepers round the pond were rather
crusted with pigeon poop. I was amazed at how easy the stuff came off. I then
alternately read my Kindle, Meowdoku-ed and dozed by the pond. As I slobbed
about shamelessly being bone idle I found myself wondering. I’d shelled out the
thick end of a hundred and fifty quid to get my car’s battery done earlier. Was
I being mean? – that price struck me as expensive. I phoned my usual garage who
said they wanted three hundred and twenty quid to do the same job.
I shall be going back to Halfords for car issues from
now on. I’ve put their phone number into my phone and everything. I had a look
at their website – I can get ten per cent off of a new pressure washer… such a
shame that what with the hose pipe ban they are currently a no-no.
And then my phone beeped. The geocache I’d hidden this
morning had gone live, and I’d got the souvenir for hiding it.
“er indoors TM” sorted
a rather good curry which we washed down with a bottle of the cheap plonk
whilst watching this week’s episode of “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds”.
I won’t give any spoilers but I will say it was the best episode of Star Trek
for some time.

No comments:
Post a Comment