8 August 2026 (Saturday) - Northiam

This morning’s Facebook feed again showed the ignorance of the general public. The pub just down the road from where I used to live has been “saved from demolition”. Sadly there were a load of people who thought that that because planning permission to build houses on the site had been refused, the pub was going to re-open.
Several people were banging on about how few pubs there now are in the area, and how “they” should open more. There’s as many pubs open in any area as can make a living out of the pub business. Recently I mentioned the Peacock Inn in Goudhurst which closed (because it wasn’t making money). Someone’s taken it on and re-opened it, but yesterday the Eight Bells in the middle of Hawkhurst (not five miles away from the Peacock) closed its doors for the last time.
 
I Munzed (deploying a scrapstar), and Wordled. I started with “vague” and got one letter right, but in the wrong place. But that did help. My second try was “civil”, then “ivory” finally ending up with “privy” on the fourth attempt.
As I fiddled about Steve was on the radio doing the “Guess the Lyrics” competition. “And the night goes by so very slow. Oh, I hope it won’t end though”. I had no idea – it was Alone” by Heart.
I had no idea either.
 
We drove round to Repton and Dog Club… We had a good time with the usual mayhem. It was a shame that Roo had to kick off right at the very end, but that’s what dogs do. And with Dog Club done we drove to Northiam.
We’d had a vague idea that we might have gone to the main day of the national geocaching mega-event week in Norfolk today… purely because it was *the* national geocaching event. But the last one we went to was something of a disappointment. I’ve been to seven mega-events, Five of them involved a lot of travel to be faintly disappointed, and the other two sort-of happened in the background whilst we were at a weekend-long camping event. These mega-events are really geared up for the people who are staying for the week.
With a three-hour trip to travel the one hundred and sixty miles to get there for a day trip, I would have gone stir-crazy on the way, and we wouldn’t have got there till the early afternoon. We decided against going. Maybe next year we could hire a cottage in the area of wherever it is going to be (somewhere in the West Midlands, apparently).
Instead we went to Northiam where there was a set of geocaches on (mostly) flat ground which would get us most of the latest set of geocaching Treasures that were released last week.
 
We had a very good walk. The footpaths were well marked and clear. As we went we saw some squirrels and a herd of deer charging across the fields. There was a strange fellow with an umbrella, but he kept his distance. Bailey went rogue for about ten seconds, and came back having lost her name tag. We’ll get another from Amazon.
We took a lot of water for the dogs. It was only a short walk – a mile less than what we walk round the woods several times each week, but I for one was glad to get back to the car at the end.
I took a few photos as we wandered.
 
Once home I did the geo-admin, posted the photos of our walk, and counted the Dog Club Money. Bearing in mind we ask for one pound fifty per dog I was rather bemused to end up with nineteen pounds thirty pence.
“er indoors TM popped out. Over the summer she checks up on the cats of various friends who are on holiday. I stayed home with the dogs.
 
“er indoors TM returned and we spent the evening playing “Ticket To Ride” on the Infinity Table.
I lost every game…

No comments:

Post a Comment