29 August 2026 (Saturday) - Busy, Busy

I saw some sad news on-line as I scoffed my toast this morning. Back in the day I was a god-botherer. I eventually realised that the whole church thing was based on wishful thinking and gave up with it. But it bothers me that so any people still go along with the drivel it spouts. And it is drivel. Look at this morning’s news. There’s been an accident at a big happy-clappy Christian festival in West Sussex. A large sign collapsed killing one person and injuring several others.
This immediately begs the question of why did this bunch’s god allow the accident to happen? Did it not see the sign was unsafe or did it not care? And (bearing in mind what this lot preach) why are they seeing death as being a bad thing?
One of the people bemoaning the tragedy was someone who claimed to be a regular attendee at the festival. He and his boyfriend would go every year. As I have said so many times before, Christianity is fundamentally against the gay community. It says so in the bible.
I decided not to comment…
I also saw consternation on the Sparks-related Facebook pages. They are touring at the moment, and fans weren’t happy that they’d travelled miles and paid a small fortune only to hear twelve songs. I can’t help but think that with the band in their late seventies / early eighties, what do the fans expect?
 
I Munzed and Wordled. “Tired” gave me the “d”. With the letters I had left I could only think of one other word that ended in “d” and I got it on the second go with “blood”. Go me !!
Steve was on the radio. He said that the weather forecast for the day wasn’t good. It hadn’t been good when I looked last night and for all that it had improved overnight it was still on the grim side. He did the “Guess the Lyrics” competition too. “All she saw was a silhouette of a gun”. Usually I struggle with these, and today’s was no different. It was “Moonlight Shadow” by Mike Oldfield.
 
We drove round to Dog Club where (despite the weather) we had a rather good time. We had seventeen dogs along, and general mayhem ensued. When I describe Dog Club it doesn’t sound very much. We just stand around in a field for forty minutes whilst the dogs generally swarm about. But it is one of the highlights of the week.
Sadly the rain got worse as time wore on. We were rather damp when it was home time. As we drove Steve was doing the Mystery Year on the radio. I have no idea what the song was that he was playing but it immediately gave me flashbacks from my time at Bromley College. I could remember my old mates who went on to the post-graduate course in blood banking (at the time I went on to the one in haematology) so that immediately narrowed it down to my early years there. Some time between 1983 – 85. And I had flashbacks of the refectory… after the first month or so we spent most of our free time in the Five Bells up the road. It had to be 1983.
It was.
 
We stopped off at the co-op for pastries which we scoffed once we got home. We played Meowdoku (“er indoors TMhas downloaded it) then we drove up to Oare for the geo-meet. A dozen of us met up at the Three Mariners where we had a rather good session. We had (arguably) one pint too many before we set about a very good dinner of assorted bar snacks, then then we had a go at the G & T the last one of which was definitely one too many (not that I would have done anything any different).  
I slept most (pretty much all) of the way home.
 
Steve and Sarah arrived, closely followed by Chris. We had a rather good evening on the Infinity Table. Game of Life, Trouble, Sorry, Ticket to Ride…
At the risk of gloating I won three of the four games. Go me (again) !!
It’s been a rather good day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment