I woke in a cold sweat in which I’d been drafted back
into the scouts to instruct the “Delivering Beer” badge. Crucial to the
award of the badge was the ability to use a shotgun, ride a horse and perform
various feats with a top hat. Sometimes I wonder just what is going through my
head.
I got up, made toast and watched more “Stranger
Things”. It was a shame that the continuity people didn’t do a better job.
Some of our heroes were up to mischief in the middle of the night. Others (supposedly
simultaneously) were in broad daylight.
I then had a little look at the Internet as I do. It
was the same as it ever was. A friend had posted dashcam footage of children
playing “Chicken” (deliberately running in front of cars) on the
ring road. Rather than sorting the issue, people were asking for the footage to
be taken down. And the local newspaper was trying to imply that picking
blackberries is illegal (it isn’t).
I Munzed and Wordled and got ready to go to work.
As I drove west-wards the pundits on the radio were
getting a tad twitchy about Russia's veiled
threat to the UK. If the UK is going to supply
Ukraine with weapons, then the UK shouldn't be surprised if "someone"
attacks the factories making those weapons. I would. I for one am surprised
that this hasn't happened already.
And there was talk about "affordable housing" to be built
across the country; the implication quite rightly being that much of the
housing being built is unaffordable. Which it is. Apparently the Prime
Minister wants local councils to go back to building council houses like they
used to in the fifties and sixties. When I was a lad much of where I lived in
Hastings was estates of council houses, pretty much all of which were then
bought (at rock-bottom bargain prices) by the sitting tenants when
Margaret Thatcher decided to sell them all off.
Building council houses, nationalizing the water
companies... why has it taken so long for anyone to realize that capitalising
on naked greed was no way to run a country in the long term?
Pausing only briefly to get a sandwich from Tesco I
went in to work. As I worked my phone pinged with a message from Amazon. Based
on my recent purchases, the bots at Amazon thought I might be interested in
buying electrolyte drinks. My recent purchases on Amazon have been audio CDs,
e-books, fish food, walking shoes and tins of deodorant. How did they get
electrolyte drinks from that?
I did my bit. I came home listening to more Adrian
Mole on my MP3 stick.
I got home to an empty house. “er
indoors TM” had taken the dogs
round to the park. Back in the day I used to walk the dogs there a lot, but the
place heaves with normal people, and these days it is more than my nerves can
stand. It might be a little drive to the wood, but it is much less traumatic.
While I waited for them to come home I found an
internet archive of audiobooks that are so old that they are out of copyright
and so I could get them as free MP3 downloads. I got “Brideshead Revisited”
and “Day of the Triffids”. I shall get some more after dinner…
Today was dull…

No comments:
Post a Comment