27 December (Wednesday) - Back to Work

I went to bed silly early last night. Leaving “er indoors TM and Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TMwatching “Geometry Dash” I went to bed at ten o’clock feeling all-in. I slept for an hour or so, then was mobbed by dogs who were incredibly excited as they hadn’t seen me for an hour or so. After an age they all settled, then “er indoors TM came to bed and disturbed everyone as she fought for bed space. In between snoring, fidgeting dogs and Daddy’s Little Angel TM” going to the loo, I saw every hour of the night, and when I wasn’t wide awake I had several vivid dreams in which I had been drafted back to work at the Kent and Canterbury hospital because “only a special sort of person can put up with it there”!
At three o’clock I had a stroke of genius. In the past when restless I’ve got up and done something, then gone back to bed and slept. I got up and had a very early shave then went back to bed.
That didn’t work.
 
I got up properly, made toast, and picked up my lap-top. “Someone” (“Darcie Waa Waa TM!) had drawn all over it in crayons. At least it was all over the outside and not on the screen, eh?
Despite the artwork (!) the lap-top worked fine, and I tuned into a rather dull Internet. A friend was having his fortieth birthday today. Forty? I would have thought older. I blame the beards everyone sports these days.
Three was a “discussion” about blanket weed on one of the pond groups I follow. Everyone was queuing up to offer contradictory opinions and to rubbish everything that anyone else was saying.
Other than that, not a lot else was happening, so I got dressed and ready for work.
 
The motorway was rather busy as I drove to work. I must have coincided getting onto the motorway with a ferry having unloaded; again there were loads of lorries slowly overtaking each other. And having overtaken then going slower than the lorry they'd overtaken forcing that one to then overtake.
Not having heard the news for five days I wondered if I had missed much. Sadly today the morning news program had decided against broadcasting any news. Instead they had wheeled on James May as a guest editor. It was duller than usual, and that's saying something.
There was an interview with the Minister for Transport who was being asked to guess and speculate about how driverless cars will operate in the UK when they are brought in (supposedly) in two years’ time. It could have been interesting had the Minister had anything to say, but all he could do was make spur-of-the-moment guesses on "what-if" questions that an eight-year-old might have posed.
And there was about fifteen minutes of utter drivel in which everything good in the country was claimed to be because of tea, and all the evils of the world were down to coffee.
Personally I maintain that tea drinkers boil my piss purely because they don't actually drink the stuff. Give someone a cup of coffee, and they will drink it. Give someone a cup of tea and they will have (at most) two sips and leave the rest in the cup to get cold and be thrown away half an hour later. Why don't tea drinkers have the stuff out of thimbles?  After all they are only going to drink one thimble-full, aren't they...
Tell me you've ever drunk more than a quarter of a cup of tea...
 
I got to work and in between doing work read my Kindle. Having finished the last of the "Game of Thrones" books in the small hours of Christmas Day I started on a new e-book this morning. Written by a chap I used to know, it hasn't really started well. Perhaps I'm being mean, but the claims in the book's foreword of being scientifically accurate don't really sit well with a 1950s-space-war-sci-fi-style story. Particularly when a lot of the story (so far) isn't particularly scientifically accurate.  And it does rather stretch credulity when (within minutes of the book starting) our heroes are boarded by space pirates and left for dead in a wrecked space ship... just next door to a space junk yard full of spare space ship parts...
Mind you, bearing in mind that Amazon never actually charged me for the e-book, I can't complain too much.
 
With work done I came home through the wind and rain. During the day “er indoors TM had taken Daddy’s Little Angel TM” and the grandchildren home. For all that the house was rather peaceful, it did seem rather empty. “er indoors TM boiled up the last of the leftovers int a very good curry which we washed down with some of the box of plonk we’d got in for Christmas. As we scoffed we watched the Christmas episode of “Doctor Who”. Having been rather unimpressed with the three episodes featuring the short-lived return of David Tennant, this episode was rather good. Such a shame we’ve got to wait until May to see more of the new Doctor…

No comments:

Post a Comment