21 December 2023 (Thursday) - A Day's Leave

I slept through till nine o’clock this morning, which was something of a result. Leaving “er indoors TM and the dogs in the pit I got up, made brekkie and had a look at the Internet. Quite a few people were posting ”packed up for Christmas” stuff. Some people really do have ages off work this time of year. There’s no denying that I get time off work, but it really is a day here and a day there.
Quite a few other people (on one of the local Facebook pages) were posting rants about waiting times in the local A&E department, and were being rather judgemental about who should and who shouldn’t go to an A&E department. I can remember hobbling to the A&E department four years ago when I could barely walk, and a whole load of people gave me serious abuse for wasting NHS time.
 
I got out a tape measure and measured up the space where the fish tank sits. That fish tank I’d seen yesterday wasn’t much wider than the current tank, and was actually shorter. I did right by not buying that tank yesterday but coming home to measure up first.
 
I checked the weather forecast, and seeing that the drizzle would soon be stopping we got the leads onto the dogs, and we all set off. “er indoors TM had booked today off work, and we took the dogs to Kings Wood. One of my geocaches had been reported as being missing.
It was.
It was only a shame that it was the furthest cache from the car park. But replacing it made for a good dog walk; after all that’s why I’ve put all these geocaches in Kings Wood; they make for a good dog walk. Even if today’s walk was a mile and a half longer than our average walk round Kings Wood.
As we walked so the drizzle came and went for the whole time we were there. I need to delete the BBC weather app from my phone and get one which is better. Are there any?
 
We came home via Perry Court Farm where we got loads of Christmas food shopping. Perhaps a tad more expensive than Tesco, but their stuff is of rather good quality and we were driving past Perry Court anyway.
We also got salted caramel cake. Once home (and with dogs bathed) we had some with a cuppa. Rather good.
 
As I told the world about today’s Advent Calendar Story, despite having stocked up at Perry Court earlier, “er indoors TM went off to Aldi to get some more bits and bobs. She said it was busy but I’ve since heard that whilst she was in Aldi, cars had been queuing to get into Sainsburys.
With the shops closed for one day (Christmas Day), everyone is preparing for Armageddon.
Whilst she shopped I slobbed on the sofa under sleeping dogs watching “Star Trek” until “er indoors TM returned and boiled up a very good bit of curry.
 
And in closing, today is the shortest day of the year. For those who want to get technical, the actual solstice is at half past three tomorrow morning, but for all that sunrise is at the same time today and tomorrow, sunset is a minute later tomorrow. Just one minute, but it’s one minute in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment