1 December 2023 (Friday) - It Snowed

Having a bit of a sniffle and feeling generally sorry for myself I took a hot water bottle to bed with me last night. However I'd made the schoolboy error of forgetting that what with “er indoors TM and the dogs, space in the bed is at a premium. The hot water bottle soon got the heave-ho. But rather than just bunging it into the darkness I stuck it behind my pillow (for no explicable reason) where it kept clouting my head.  And rather than just bunging it into the darkness I just put up with it until I got completely fed up with the thing at which point I got up (far too early) and went downstairs.
 
Being the first of the month I had a shave with a new razor blade, and scrubbed my teeth with a new toothbrush. The bristles were falling out of the last one; I think I'd been a bit too vigorous with it.
I made toast and watched another episode of "The Couple Next Door" in which her who played "Demelza" in "Poldark" was getting particularly over-amorous with the neighbours. Call me puritanical if you will, but if you will wear saucy undercrackers like those she was brandishing, you get all you deserve.
I had a look at Facebook. The "Elf on a Shelf" memes were getting rather silly on one of the Star Trek pages I follow, with "Spock on a Cock" being perhaps the easiest one to guess. Opinion was divided as to whether these memes were good fun or annoying, and with seemingly nothing else to squabble about, people were getting rather aggressive about this particular bit of trivia.
 
Being the first of December I opened my Advent Calendar. Frosty the Snowman we perhaps an easier starting point that I've had in some previous years, but I still looked at him with a sense of "WTF".
I got dressed and pausing only briefly to put the bins out I set off to find my car.
 
It didn't take *that* long to scrape the ice from my car, and with ice finally scraped I set off to work. As I drove the pundits on the radio spewed their usual brand of drivel. The cease fire in Gaza came to an end last night, and neither side wasted any time before commencing chucking missiles at the other. Both arguing that the other side started it, both seemingly as bad as each other.
There was talk of the COP28 climate summit meeting. It would seem the UK had a decent representation there, but how can you take the country’s commitment to climate issues seriously when the Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the King all flew there in separate planes.
Talking of the King, it would seem that Prince Harry has accused him of racial comments. Personally I can’t help but think that if Prince Harry wants to flee half way across the world asking for the press to leave him alone, then he should piss off and stop attention-seeking like a petulant toddler.
 
I got to work and did my bit. As I did that which I couldn’t avoid I spent much of the morning watching the snow flurries. “er indoors TM messaged at tea break to say there was snow in Ashford. As I messaged that there was no snow in Maidstone so it started. Not even enough to make the ground white, but snow is snow.
 
I came home just as “er indoors TM was going to deliver an Advent Calendar to My Boy TM”. Every year she makes him a beer one. I had a shower and looked again at what had come out of my Advent Calendar this morning. Eventually I had some inspiration.
I wonder how the rest of the story will pan out?
 
“er indoors TM came home with some dinner. I was glad to be home this evening; the plan for today was for me to be doing the night shift, but my colleague doing tomorrow afternoon asked if we might swap. Had I done the night shift, today would have been an incredibly dull waste of a day, and tomorrow would have been spent with me constantly nodding off. As it turned out today wasn’t a bad day, and the weather forecast for tomorrow means that being at work will be marginally warmer than sulking at home because will be too cold to do anything. Or that’s the plan.
Mind you if I still feel this grim I might phone in sick…

No comments:

Post a Comment