29 November 2022 (Tuesday) - Lego Club

Tiddling the dogs goes one of three ways. They can flatly refuse to go out. They can go out (under protest) and mess about playing silly beggars for quite some time. Or they go out like bullets from a gun, do what is required, and zoom back in as fast as they possibly can. In the early mornings they usually take the third option because they know that once they've "done", they can go upstairs to the big bed with “er indoors TM.
With them sorted I made toast and watched another episode of "Stranger Things" which was rather good, and now we're into the third season it actually features some things that really are stranger than most other things.
As I watched so “er indoors TM came downstairs to the loo... complete with her entourage. Whenever I get up to go anywhere the dogs might roll over into the warm spot that I might have left, but that would be all the response that my absence would warrant. Whenever “er indoors TM  gets up to go anywhere all three dogs leap up and follow her every move.
 
I set off for work listening to the news as I do. I rolled my eyes as it was announced that billions of pounds need to be spent on flood defences across the country as officialdom has finally realised the folly of letting developers build wherever they like. Didn’t they realise that developers like to build on land that regularly floods because it is cheap? As an example of this, look at the Park Farm development in Ashford. Thousands of houses built on land which thirty years ago wouldn't used by local sheep farmers between October and April as it flooded too much and was a swamp every winter.
There was also more talk from the First Lady of Ukraine who was hoping that the people of Britain wouldn't forget about the plight of the Ukrainians... and then asked for more millions of pounds to spend on fighting the Russians.
And I found myself wondering about the Chinese government cracking down on dissident voices and outlawing certain brands of social media. For all that I rip into the government, I should really be grateful that they allow me to do so...  Not that I expect they even realise I'm sitting here throwing rocks at them.
 
As I drove up the motorway I investigated the various functions of the courtesy car I've got. Some might say that I randomly pressed all the buttons to see what happened, but I prefer to say "investigated the various functions" as that sounds like I had some idea of what I was doing.
Once I'd got the mirrors pointing in the right directions (that took some doing), I discovered the cruise control, and spent a while playing with that.
As I fiddled I was very conscious to remember I wasn't in my car and made a point of not trying to use sixth gear for the simple reason that this car hasn't got a sixth gear. Reverse is where sixth gear should be. If I was to use that half way up the motorway the engine would just leap out of the bonnet in a rather spectacular fashion.
I wonder if that would be covered by the insurance?
 
I did my bit at work, and (once I'd checked the travel map on Google) rather than heading home I went to Hythe where the Lego club was having its inaugural meeting. Would it be any good? Would it be a load of rubbish? I must admit I went along hoping for great things but expecting the worst. Mind you I had my reservations about Dog Club, and (so far) that has turned out quite good. And (if nothing else) it would be an opportunity to catch up with Jose who had told me that he would be along.
My reservations were totally unfounded. The turn-out wasn’t huge, but those of us that were there had a great meeting. After a little chatting we pulled up some tables and just built Lego models. I’d taken some maxifigures along to show (as those are what I collect) so I made a cat, dog, parrot and some other strange animal to go with them. As we all built we all carried on chatting. We all seem to be of one mind; the hobby is supposed to be fun. And with that in mind I think we might just be on to a winner here…
I don’t think the first fruit of my loin approves…

No comments:

Post a Comment