21 November 2022 (Monday) - Before Another Late Shift

Seeing it wasn’t raining when I emerged from my pit I took the dogs out right away. As we drove to the woods the pundits on the radio were interviewing the head of the British Football Association who was being incredibly tactful and diplomatic, but made no secret that the (football) world cup hasn’t turned out to be quite that which had been expected.
We got to the woods; the car park was nearly empty; the threat of rain had clearly scared a lot of people off. As we walked out of the car park we saw a woman with two Labradors, and a hundred yards later we played for a couple of minutes with a Dalmatian. And that was it for the normal people for today. We walked what is fast becoming our usual four-mile route without seeing anyone else at all. The woods are so much better during the week; most of the (very few) people we meet are sensible dog-walkers. There’s none of the horse-riding brigade screaming at everyone to get out of the way or the thugs with their muzzled death-hounds trying to look impressive that can infest the place at the weekends…  well, not that much.
I must admit that things did look a bit dodgy at the furthest point from the car; the sky did turn an ominous shade of grey. But we got back to the car (and drove home) before any rain came.
 
We had a quick bath. Fortunately for my nerves there was no fox poo, but small dogs do get grubby tummies. And once home I was (quite frankly) amazed to see the fish tank thermometers I’d ordered from Amazon yesterday lunch time had arrived. I was rather impressed with that.
I had a quick cuppa and had a look at the Internet. It was still there, but I thought better of wasting too much time in it today.
 
Leaving “er indoors TM and the hounds in charge at home I set off in the general direction of work. I got in the car, started it, and it immediately told me to change the battery in the key. The battery in the  key of my old car once went flat on me; this car gives me prior warning. That was a result. It was only a shame that the car left me to my own devices as to actually sorting a new battery and installing the thing.
I went to Halfords and looked pathetic, and the nice lady sorted me out, which was a result.
 
From Halfords I went to the bank. I had a cheque to pay in (the ongoing saga of Dad's estate)... because the cheque was for more than five hundred pounds I couldn't scan it in with the mobile app. The woman on the bank's phone line said I had to hand it in over the counter in a bank. She was insistent - I had to go to a real live person in a branch of the bank because of the sum of money involved.
I got to the bank and queued up. And waited. And waited. Eventually I got to the head of the queue where some rather harassed-looking woman (in a bank uniform) told me I could use the paying  in machine to pay the cheque in to my account. I explained that I had been told I had to hand it to someone in the bank personally, and I *couldn't* use a machine.  The woman (in the bank uniform) said I didn't, and she paid it in for me, using the paying in machine whilst I stood and watched. I took the opportunity to tell her that the bank was far better when it was a proper bank with a counter rather than a load of machines and three staff looking like they are about to cry. The woman (in a bank uniform) agreed with me; she said she hears that a lot.
 
As I came out of the bank I noticed the bakery. Rather than getting myself a sandwich for lunch I had a brainwave and I got a broccoli and cheese quiche and a lump of bread pudding.
I then drove up to Lenham to return the leaf blower (sucker) I borrowed a couple of weeks ago. Having established that it did the trick, I needed it out of the shed to make room for one of my own.
I delivered it back to Joe, and we had a little chat whilst I fussed his dog.
And then on to work. It was at this point that the heavens really opened. I got to the car park and scoffed lunch whilst waiting for the rain to subside.
Here's a tip - if you want a seriously impressive gets ache that will last all afternoon, I'd thoroughly recommend a broccoli and cheese quiche followed by a lump of bread pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment