12 November 2022 (Saturday) - Dog Club, Garden, Job Application

“er indoors TM went to the loo early this morning and came back with the puppies who immediately mobbed me. Treacle then started grumbling, so I gave up any hope of sleep, got up, made toast, and watched an episode of “Motherland”. I then spent a few minutes this morning dusting off my CV… or I would have done if I’d been able to find one less than ten years old. I had various different positions during my time at Canterbury… I wonder what the dates of those jobs were.
 
I gave “er indoors TM seemingly ages, but with her showing no sign of surfacing I got the puppies onto their leads and left her asleep with Treacle. I took the puppies round to Repton Community Centre where we went to dog club again. It was rather good; loads of dogs of about the same size got to charge around with each other. The puppies loved it; Treacle would have hated it.
I spent much of the time chatting with an old friend with whom I used to work (many years ago). It was good to catch up.
 
The local dog club has got the advantage over the dachshund club in that being local and starting earlier we are home so much earlier. As the puppies scoffed a late brekkie I went into the garden and got out the leaf blower that I’d borrowed from Andrea and Joe on Wednesday. I say “blower”, the thing only seems to suck, but it was ideal for what I need. It sucks at *exactly* the right power so as to suck up all the leaves from the gravelled areas, but leaves the gravel behind. And it also doesn’t suck hard enough to suck up the dog turds either (which could be yuk!) I borrowed the thing to see if I could actually use one if I got one; I shall be getting one of my own soon.
With leaves sucked I then ran round the garden gathering up all the dog turds which I had uncovered (there were a few) then voomed over with the lawn mower.
 
“er indoors TM went off out with Cheryl to some Christmas bazaar or other, and I ironed shirts whilst watching episodes of “Four In A Bed” in which the obvious favourites to win pulled out half way through the last episode for no apparent reason. A quick Google search says that the reason for their leaving was nothing to do with any damage caused to their hotel, and that the program maker has offered to pay for any damage. What was that all about?
 
“er indoors TM then came home and sliced up the spicy bread/loaf/thingy she’d baked. It made for a rather good bit of lunch. Then as she took Treacle out of a little mission visiting her chums, I ran the puppies round the block (so they didn’t feel left out) then sat down with the NHS Jobs website.
I’m in a rather odd position…
Twelve years ago I made a mistake at work for which the management of the time threw me under a bus. Up until then I had been the departmental training officer and up until I got the heave-ho I’d trained over twenty students from their first day up to the point of becoming professionally registered; a process which takes years. After I got the heave-ho I slowly recovered my position, but over the last few years (much as I like my job) in many ways I’ve just been twiddling my thumbs until retirement.
A new position has arisen at work; that of departmental training lead. My boss’s boss’s boss is one of my original trainees, and she feels I should be a trainer again. As does a colleague who was once one of my trainees. As does pretty much everyone else I work with. Do I want to go back into management? On the one hand it could be a lot like hard work. On the other hand I really do feel that I am doing nothing but twiddling my thumbs until retirement.
I shall apply for the job. *If* they offer it to me I shall ask for assurances that I can just do the training and not have to get involved with all the other management stuff.
And so I spent a couple of hours blagging my employment history from memory because (as I mentioned earlier) I can’t find any of the dates of when I started and finished the carious jobs I’ve done over the years.
One of the very good reasons for writing a diary is so you don’t have to blag stuff like that… (!)
I then spent an hour or so trying to write a personal statement about why I would be the ideal candidate for the job… Trying and failing. I decided to give up and come back to that later.
 
We had a rather good dinner this evening washed down with a decent bottle of malbec. As we scoffed we watched last week’s episode of “Bake Off”, and then started watching Netflix’s “The Crown” from the start.
I feel worn out… and I’ve not really done that much today…

No comments:

Post a Comment