15 August 2022 (Monday) - Back to Work

I woke probably every twenty minutes all night long last night. With no reason to get up I sleep well. Knowing there was an alarm set meant I barely slept last night.

I took the puppies outside to do their thing, and with thing done they cried at the door to go upstairs to have an hour or so on the bed with “er indoors TM. And having run upstairs they cried on the landing for me to come up and protect them from Treacle. She can be rather grumpy at the babies first thing in the morning.

I made toast and listened to the seagulls squawk. We seem to get a lot of seagulls, even though you can’t get any further inland in Kent than where we live. As I scoffed toast (and as another COVID test incubated) I watched another episode of “The Sandman” then set off to work.

 

There was no end of doom and gloom on the radio this morning. First of all there was talk of the ridiculously high energy costs. Was Jeremy Corbyn's plan to nationalise the power companies such a bad idea? All I am doing by paying far too much money to EDF is subsidising the French energy bill.

And then there was no end of talk about crackpot religion. Girls in Afghanistan aren't allowed to go to secondary school any more. The chap being interviewed on the radio said that it is all very well for the educated people in the world's cities to want to educate women but doing so offends the ignorant and uneducated superstitious people who run the show in the hinterlands in Afghanistan.

Time for new people to run the show, perhaps?

And over thirty years ago Salman Rushdie gave offence when he wrote some book or other. Those who were offended offered up a reward for his death, and on Friday the chap was stabbed.

Religion... it's such a comfort, eh?

 

I got to work a tad earlier than I might and took a little walk to cap four Qrewzees (it’s a Munzee thing). If only more people would do this it would make the Clan War a bit easier, but in order to do what I did this morning you have to be a premium member. And that costs money. Not a lot (about fifty pence a week), but there are those who have made it quite clear they will not put their hands in their pockets and that they expect others (i.e. me) to do the things that cost. Perhaps I should do the same.

Mind you I got to unlock a Qrate, so all wasn't entirely bad.

 

And then it was back to work. It wasn't a bad day really. I have a job that I am trusted to do, and I spent quite a bit of time teaching a trainee today. I like doing that.

Being on an early shift I got out early (obviously!). I had planned a dog excursion to the woods, but it was still twenty-eight degrees when I got home. Rather than going to the woods we just pootled in the back garden.

I say “pootled”; I pootled, the dogs kept trying to eat algae from the pond. I wish they wouldn’t. Eventually “er indoors TM came home and put a stop to their shenanigans.  

 

“er indoors TM boiled up a good bit of dinner then set off bowling. I settled in front of the telly with the dogs and watched another episode of “The Sandman”. This morning’s one had featured Jenna Coleman as a lesbidaceous exorcist. This evening’s starred her who was Brienne of Tarth (out of “Game of Thrones”) as Lucifer.

I’m quite enjoying this show… it’s based on the book by Neil Gaiman. I’m nearing the end of my current e-book. Maybe I might try some of his books?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment