10 August 2022 (Wednesday) - Setthornes Inclosure

Some time ago “er indoors TM got blackout curtains at home. At the time I wasn’t impressed but the cottage has the most flimsy of white curtains, and the bedroom is in broad daylight from before five o’clock every morning which really doesn’t help with getting sleep.

I sparked up my lap-top and sighed. I had a message from someone who has never done a wherigo before telling me of a problem with one of mine. Despite nearly eighty people having got through the thing successfully, they couldn’t do it *therefore* the thing didn’t work. I knew what the problem was… it is always the same problem with wherigos. Rather than reading the information in the screens people just keep pressing “next” in an attempt to move the game on without actually finding out what to do.

I played “Bubble Pop on the lap-top and watched the cows  walking up the road past the cottage (it’s a New Forest thing) until the dogs woke and I could unload the dishwasher.

 

We had a rather good leisurely brekkie, and then drove for twenty minutes to the Setthornes Inclosure; a particularly pretty wood where there was shelter from the baking heat of the day and in between copious  water stops we walked about three miles following a set of geocaches.

In retrospect this wasn’t perhaps the best series we’ve ever walked. The description said “The caches are not necessarily on main tracks ... No 1 and No 2 are off the track. Not all tracks are shown on the app, and some are not shown on the OS Leisure map.” I would have thought that if the people setting the series were going to use the kind of tiny tracks I would *never* use myself they should have positioned their hides in such a way to make it clear what is “tiny track” and what is “where a deer walked through some bracken”. And the first one certainly was off the track; it really had been drop-kicked into the undergrowth.

That’s all very negative of me, isn’t it? But someone had given us a guided walk, and it kept us occupied.

 

After a couple of hours we were done, and had lunch, hen went on to the brewery as we needed supplies. As we’d driven yesterday we’d seen a sign for “The Pig Brewery” so we popped in. I must admit that my heart sank when I saw one of the Real Ale Twats (from Viz magazine) pootling about in the brewing area. Karl and I had a pint of the wheat beer and got a few bottles to takeout… but only a few. This place prided itself on making “craft beer” which is sold by the half-pint at pint prices.

From here we went on to “The Filly” which would seem to have gone downhill slightly over the years.

But the nearby farm shop was rather good.

 

From there we came home, and (once the dogs had had all the dust scrubbed off of them) we spent the afternoon in the garden. Beer, playing extreme-piggy-in-the-middle, a rather good bit of dinner, stargazing, and finally falling asleep over pudding.

As always I took a few photos today.

No comments:

Post a Comment