27 April 2020 (Monday) - Subordinate Clauses


Over brekkie I watched the first episode of the second season of “After Life”. Starring Ricky Gervais I thought it was rather good. I suppose it depends on where you stand on Ricky Gervais. I quite like the chap, but I know there are those who don’t.
I had a little look into the depths of the Internet; very little had happened overnight, but I finally heard back from the neighbourhood watch people. They sent me a letter touting for trade back in January but I had no reply from the email address or from the phone number they gave. Yesterday I saw someone was talking about it on the local Facebook group. I asked for details, and my inbox has a few messages about what they are up do.
I *think* Neighbourhood Watch is going to be something of a disappointment. I had visions of being part of a vigilante mob guarding the streets form the forces of lawlessness and evil. But I think the reality is that I get to act as a collection point for all the local whingers, and forward their gripes to a disinterested community-support police assistant.
I shall give it a go before dismissing the thing completely out of hand.

As I drove to Pembury on a rather foggy morning the pundits on the radio were talking about how there have been loads of reports of people being poisoned by bleach and disinfectants all over America over the weekend. Last week President Trump mentioned the possibility of using bleaches and disinfectants as a medicine against the COVID-19 virus, and many people took him at his word. Anyone with any sense can tell that the bloke is an idiot, but there are lots with even less sense than him. Which is rather worrying.
There was also talk about easing the lock-down in the UK... or if not easing it, at least making sense of it. For example florists cannot operate from an open market stall in the high street, but can do from inside a supermarket.  People with no gardens are prosecuted for sunbathing on their own in public parks but can work in factories where people are crowded in like sardines.
What's that all about?

I must admit to rolling my eyes as I came through the "-dens" and the "-hursts". Where only a few short months ago there was a *huge* "Vote Conservative" placard, today (in exactly the same place) there is an equally enormous "We Love the NHS" poster. Am I the only one who sees a contradiction here? There are those who would question me "bringing politics into everything" - to those people I would suggest they find out what politics is all about.

I stopped off at Tesco to get some supplies.  Plant food, washing gel, dishwasher tablets... As I shopped I very nearly pointed and shouted at the silly old bat who was wearing tatty latex gloves and picking up and putting down pretty much every item in the shop.
Most of the checkout staff also had tatty well-worn latex gloves. except one who was wearing woolly ones. I didn't quite point and laugh, but I came close.

I went on to work; I did my bit. At tea break I had an Easter Egg. Over the weekend the Nestle corporation had delivered loads of Easter Eggs to the hospital which was kind of them... Part of me cynically wonders if this was some sort of tax loss operation.
We also had home-made cake from a well-wisher who realised both just how important blood-testing is to healthcare and how much blood testers like cake.
I also had an email claiming to be from DWS investments who had "a genuine investment offer for Health Workers and Individuals". They were "offering genuine Investment opportunity to individuals to invest as low as £250 and get a minimum 10-fold profit interest value of £2,500 within 3 working days." If any of my loyal reader know of anyone who is so thick as to be taken in by this scam, please send me their two hundred and fifty quid and I'll invest it for them.

As we worked a colleague told us all of the fun she'd had last week home-schooling her locked-down children. The school had instructed her to educate her children in the intricacies of subordinate clauses. Much like my colleague did, I looked it up on Google. A subordinate clause is one which, typically introduced by a conjunction, forms part of and is dependent on a main clause.
One lives and learns...
I must admit I can't work out how I've managed the last fifty years without knowing what a subordinate clause is… 

No comments:

Post a Comment