1 April 2020 (Wednesday) - After the Night Shift

Yesterday evening I had this naïve idea that when I got petrol I might also get some food from Sainsbury's filling station for the night shift.
Oh dear...
I got to the filling station in Aylesford to find that the door to the kiosk was locked. They were only selling petrol (no food), and all transactions were being conducted via a drawer underneath a window. There were two people inside the kiosk. One was doing a barely adequate job of dealing with the public by taking their money; the other just seemed to be getting in his way. The one who wasn't taking the money was determined that no one in the forecourt should stand within ten yards of anyone else, and several times leaned on top of the one doing the work so that he could rudely bellow out through the serving drawer. It struck me as odd that this fellow was concerned that I should not be within ten yards of someone else whilst queuing to pay for petrol, but he was quite happy to be physically on top of his colleague.
Perhaps they were very good friends?
Seeing there was no food to be had I went up to the Sainbury's supermarket where there were two women guarding the door. One said I had five minutes to get my shopping; the other said I was too late. I walked away leaving them having an argument about the time.
If nothing else their petrol was fifteen pence a litre cheaper than it was a month ago.

I went into work and did my night shift. Fortunately I'd brought a sandwich so I wasn't as hungry as I might have been. Bearing in mind that we needed some bits and bobs I went back to Sainsbury’s after work. They were apparently opening half an hour early for NHS staff…

I got to the supermarket to find a queue of dozens of people waiting outside. I marched up to the front and asked if this was the queue for the NHS workers. “Oh no” I was told with a smile. “In you go”. Everyone else who was lined up was just waiting for the store to open properly. It was all rather embarrassing really. I apologised to the people in the queue and (rather pathetically) explained that I’d been up all night to which I got smiles and thumbs-up and was told the quicker I got my shopping the quicker I’d be back to work.
So I went into the store and somehow walked through a portal into another dimension.
Outside everyone was happy and smiling. Inside the customers were all in worlds of their own, and the staff all had faces like smacked arses. I asked one assistant where such-and-such was. She turned from the shelf she was filling, told me she didn’t work there and was a shopper like me, and went back to filling her shelf. When I went to the check-out to pay, the sourpuss at the till told me that I would rather use the self-service counter.

As I came home I listened to the radio. I did chuckle when one expert put the pundits on the radio in their place. He told them that their trouble was that they kept giving air-time to people who were talking about matters of public health, disease control and epidemiology when they clearly didn’t know anything about it.
I think that fellow had a point.

Once home I unloaded the shopping, went to bed and slept right through until Pogo woke me by treading on my goolies. Pogo is a lump, and when he treads on your goolies, you know about it.
I spent a few minutes making a Lego van for Lego world; I’ve got this idea of incorporating a Lego used car lot but until my base plates arrive I can’t really do very much with Lego world. I had a look on eBay to track them. They’ve left China and have an estimated delivery date of any time between Friday 3 April and Thursday 14 May. That’s rather precise, isn’t it.

"er indoors TM" took a lunch break and we took the dogs to the park. Why is it that when I go to the park I meet all the “special” and “delightful” people, but when she comes along we never meet any of them?
As luck would have it, "My Boy TM" and Cheryl were at the park taking little Rolo for a walk (Treacle spotted them first). We shouted hellos and walked together in a socially distanced manner. Not for fear of contracting any viruses but just in case any do-gooder might squeal us up for being an unlawful gathering.
We came home via the co-op field where Treacle and Pogo shot through a hedge into someone’s garden where then spent five minutes eating unmentionable stuff from a compost heap.

We came home; "er indoors TM" got on with her working from home, there seemed to be quite a kerfuffle with some client who had a problematical dongle. I put “Bottom” on Netflix and spent a couple of hours doing the ironing.
I hope its dinner time soon. I’m feeling rather peckish and I bought strawberries and cream when I went shopping earlier,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment