5 August 2011 (Friday) - Profound? Trivial !

The other day I bought the DVD of “Little Shop of Horrors” in Tesco for three quid, and although I’d never seen it, I’d heard good reports of it. And it was only three quid, after all.
Last night, having the house to myself, I put the telly on and watched that DVD. I can’t believe I’d not seen it before. It’s certainly one of the best films I’ve ever seen. And now I’m left wondering how many other little gems I’ve managed to miss over the years.
This evening I thought I’d continue in the same vein, but couldn’t find my DVD of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I wonder what I’ve done with it?

I read something rather profound today – I’m currently reading “Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow” by Jerome K Jerome. The chap was born in 1859, and is actually one of my favourite authors. Have you ever read his stuff?
One of his idle thoughts was “It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies”. He wrote that line one hundred and twenty five years ago. Way back in the last-but-one century; and that line might have been written with the concept of blogging in mind (!) Nowadays I find myself wondering when I read his works because I’m beginning to think that I model my writing style on his.

And then I had a phone call from Future Legal Services who asked if I’d given any further thought to writing my will. I told them I’d written it, told them to get stuffed, and hung up. And then realised that maybe I should revisit that will. It was written about twenty years ago, and is all written given the scenario that both me and ‘er indoors TM had croaked, and both fruits of my loin were still of school age. The will is rather explicit about who looks after the brats, how the estate is entrusted, and is probably rather redundant given how things have turned out.
Perhaps we’d better revise it. I’m not planning to croak any time soon, but then I don’t suppose that any of us are.

Meanwhile the important news of the day, the launch of the Juno mission, went rather unnoticed….

No comments:

Post a Comment