14 January 2022 (Friday) - Disappointment in Lenham

I slept for ten hours last night… I have a problem in that after eight or so hours asleep I just get backache and so staying in bed is somewhat counterproductive. I hurt this morning.

I got up, sloshed out sinuses (yuk!), made toast and had a look at the Internet. It was still there. With pretty much nothing at all happening I got dressed and got on with what I had planned. My car hadn’t been started in a week. I’ve got a series of Adventure Lab caches to set up. I needed a venue for the February geo-meet. And the dogs needed a walk.

 

The car started which was something of a result, but we drove out to Lenham to be faced with utter disappointment. My idea for a series of Adventure Lab caches there involved finding five reasonably spaced places of local interest. Each would have a plaque or a sign or something from which I could set up a straightforward question. I knew that the church would be out of bounds – I’ve already set one up round the church. But sadly the village was nowhere near as historic as I thought it might be. Half an hour’s searching found a derelict hovel that claimed to have once been a village gaol, and there was absolutely sod-all else of note. Bearing in mind that the Adventure Lab series would be the “thing” for the geo-meet I’m planning and that it had fallen at the first hurdle, I didn’t bother asking in either of the pubs about using them as a venue.

The dogs had a walk… I suppose. Both were pulling with all their might, and both were pulling in different directions, crapping like things possessed and spraying copious amounts of pee in every direction.

It was something of a relief to give up and go home.

 

Once home the dogs were soon snoring, and I got on with Coursera for an hour or so. Pogo snuggled up with me, and I dozed for a couple of hours. As I so often do, I spent the afternoon watching episodes of “Four In A Bed”; one of the competing guest houses had set themselves up running a course in how to run a Bed & Breakfast establishment. The chap who prided himself in (supposedly) knowing all about the hospitality industry really couldn’t understand why everyone else felt he as wrong to wear a rather ratty moth-eaten jumper full of holes when welcoming people to his hotel. As is so typical of our times this fellow knew all the catch phrases and buzz words but nothing of any practical use, and I rather sniggered as he came last by a clear margin.

I did some more Coursera until “er indoors TM” came home. She came via “My Boy TM”’s house where favourite oldest granddaughter Lacey had made far too much pudding. We got a rather good kiwi-fruit and lemon pie.
It was rather good…

No comments:

Post a Comment