21 October 2024 (Monday) - Still Raining

One of this morning’s petty squabble on the internet was over a meme posted to Facebook about how medical care is given out free of charge in “Star Trek”. Non-Americans commenting pointed out that they don’t pay for healthcare (at the point of care). The Americans commenting fell into two groups. One group were saying what a wonderful idea free health care would be; seemingly oblivious to the fact that healthcare is given out free of charge in most of the world except America. The other group felt that free health care would be a terrible thing and that there was some merit in paying for it.
The other squabble was about a twee meme posted by some celebrity (from way back when) about how much nurses make. It was claimed that nurses make people better and make people smile, and you can’t put a price on that. I thought about pointing out the stupidity from the pandemic when everyone stood on the doorsteps and clapped the NHS. At the time I tried paying for my shopping (in Sainsburys) by clapping but they weren’t having that.
Perhaps if we in the UK adopted the American health care model then healthcare workers in te NHS might get better pay?
I also saw that ELO are going to play their last ever gig in Hyde Park next June. Do I want to go? I wouldn’t mind, but with tickets starting at about a hundred quid a go (or so the expert opinion reckons) it’s a lot of money to shell out.
 
Despite the rain I took the dogs to the woods. Sadly my idiot enthusiasm didn’t triumph over common sense today; the rain didn’t ease up until we were in the car on the way home. But the dogs seemed to like the walk. As we walked we saw a few other dog walkers braving the elements. I think a couple of them were professional dog walkers. They had a very random assortment of dogs, and we did see two vans in the car park bearing dog walker livery.
I wonder how lucrative professional dog walking is?
 
We came home where we saw not-so-nice-next-door taking a bag of rubbish to the public bin up the street. As she walked back she glared at me like I was the shit on her shoe. Treacle snarled at her; Treacle *really* doesn’t like her.
 
The dogs had a bath. No one had rolled in anything foul, but they were wet and muddy. A hot shower to warm up and shift mud was in order. And once showered, the dogs were all soon asleep.
I loaded up an assortment of old tat into the car and set off to the tip. The tip was quiet today – only two other cars were there. I unloaded, and got chatting with the chap at the tip about how much useful stuff gets dinged out. I mentioned the little shop at the tip in Hastings; the nice man said that pretty much every council-run tip in the country has little shops where they sell useable stuff… except those in Kent.
 
I came home to an email. The geo-feds had given me the thumbs-up for my adventure lab idea, and had scheduled it to go live tomorrow. So flushed with success I spent the afternoon preparing four more of the same sorts of thing.
And once “er indoors TM had gone bowling I looked at four more for my old stomping ground in Hastings.
I’m really hoping this rain will stop soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment