9 September 2022 (Friday) - I'm Worn Out...

I had something of a restless night, and was wide awake far too early. I had something of a headache too… can’t think why (!)
As everyone else snored I scoffed toast and had a look at the Internet. It was still there. Quite a few people were saying how sad they were that the Queen had died. I suppose it is the end of an era, really. She had a thankless task. It will be interesting to see how our new king pans out. A few years ago I can remember thinking that he would be terrible at the job but now I’m not sure.
I got the distinct impression that the succession of a new monarch was a godsend for our new Prime Minister whose capping of the energy bills seems to have passed off pretty much unnoticed. I’ve done a few sums based on the energy cap and it looks like I will only be paying ten quid a month more than I am paying now. Mind you that is still a hundred quid a month more than I was paying this time last year.
 
With some things (loads of things) to do in Hastings (not least of which being fetch the car) I wandered up the road to the railway station to get the train… the train which had been cancelled. The train had been cancelled due to staff shortages, but they were able to put on a bus which was to leave at the same time. How odd… a railway has no spare train staff but has a bus and driver. How does that work?
I got on the bus and amused myself watching the argument. Some chap wanted to take his bike on the bus. He always took his bike on the train and that was never an issue. But the bus driver wasn’t having it. The supervisor was called over and during the course of this part of the argument the chap with the bike started throwing it around in temper.
 
Leaving the cyclist behind we were only ten minutes late leaving. There were seven passengers on a double decker bus. We drove to Ham Street station where one more got on. We stopped at Appledore station for ten minutes despite no one getting on or off. It all happened at Rye where three passengers got off, and another one (in a very timid voice) asked if it was the Hastings bus.
The bus eventually drove within a hundred yard of Dad’s house, and the driver let me out there.
 
Together with my brother I had a productive morning. We got all of Dad’s clothes out of cupboards and bagged them up for the clothes bank (like he wanted), and we had a little look-see in the attic, and was pleased to find hardly anything at all up there.
We got done what we had planned for today, locked the house, and set off home.
 
Getting home rather earlier than expected I set the washing machine going and took the dogs to the woods. We went on our usual circuit and didn’t see anyone else at all, which made for a relatively easy walk. Mind you, Morgan wandered off a couple of times. He never goes *too* far, and I can usually hear the jingle of the tags on his collar and the sound of him crashing through the undergrowth. But I’d rather he didn’t wander off. It’s not too bad when Treacle or Bailey go off; the girls (usually) respond to the whistle.
 
And with walk walked I did what I do on most days off; I got out the ironing board and sorted laundry. As I ironed I watched “Knuckle”; a documentary about Irish travellers and the fist fights they had (for no other reason than that they could). I quite liked it.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner, and as we scoffed it I thought back over the last two weeks. Two weeks ago my brother found Dad collapsed. Twelve days later he was dead. I had loads of hundred-mile drives, I managed to have my car pranged for me.
It’s all been rather full-on. I could really do with a rest…

No comments:

Post a Comment