24 September 2022 (Saturday) - More Pond Filtering

I woke at silly o’clock and lay awake fretting about probate… from what I can see if we go to a solicitor it will cost us about four thousand quid, and if we do it ourselves through the government’s website we’ll get change out of four hundred.
Eventually I nodded off and didn’t wake until after eight o’clock.
 
I made toast and as I scoffed it I had a look at the monthly accounts. I’ve had a pay rise. On the one hand that’s a result. On the other hand it is less than half of the current rate of inflation. But either way it is better than a poke up the bum with a sharp stick. The pay rise was backdated till last April, and it effectively covered the cost of what I’ve squandered on the pond’s filtration system. Once I’d counted the pennies I found myself much the same as ever; far from skint, but equally far from rich.
It was then that the postie delivered the mail. There was a letter from the solicitors dealing with Dad’s pension. They wanted a copy of the “Bereavement Grant Application Form”. I wonder what that is? Just when you think you are getting a handle on it all, something like this pops up.
 
We took the dogs for a quick walk at Great Chart. A geocache of mine needed replacing. Absolutely anyone could have replaced it for me; absolutely no one did. So I popped out a new pot as we walked up almost to the river and back again. We didn’t quite go as far as the river as I didn’t want the dogs getting soaking wet.
With dogs walked we came home and I plumbed in the pond’s new filter pumps. It was rather straightforward. I lifted the rocks out of the way so I could get to the hoses. I dug the shingle so I could get to the power cables. I got the old pump out of the pond, cut the old hoses into suitable lengths, connected the cut hoses to the new pumps, sunk the new pumps, turned it all back on again, put the shingle and the rocks back and then had a cuppa. So easy to type; over two hours to do.
I then trimmed up the overflowing stuff from the fences on either side, and then disassembled the camouflage box I made for the old pond filter (that went to the tip a few weeks ago).
 
By then I was knackered. I could have gone out with “er indoors TM but my back was rather painful. I put up with its twinging as I did the ironing whilst watching episodes of “Better Than Us”. It’s turning out to be a rather good show, but reminds me of “Squid Game” in that it would have been so much better had they spent a few more pennies on the translation.
 
And I also launched Dad’s tribute site today. You can see it by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment