19 September 2022 (Monday) - The Queen's Funeral

I felt like death warmed up when I woke this morning. Had I not been told how short-handed we were going to be at work today I would have phoned in sick. I made some toast and watched an episode of "Better Than Us" on Netflix, then watched "the queue". People had been queuing overnight to pay their respects to Her Majesty, and the queue was coming to an end this morning.
I didn't go up there... it wasn't really practical. However had I known that people were allowed to carry luggage in (which had been expressly forbidden according to the radio last week) then I might just have had a look-see. People were even carrying dogs through this morning...
Now that it is all over I feel I missed out.
 
Still feeling grim I set off to work. The roads were quiet, but not as quiet as they might have been. There were still loads of lorries going to and fro. Despite the radio being nothing but talk about today's Royal funeral I listened to it out of a sense of being part of history... Sadly there was absolutely nothing to be said that hadn't been repeated ad-nauseum over the last week or so, and the morning's presenter was doing nothing but repeat himself which rather detracted from the occasion.
Mind you I did chuckle when there was talk of a leaked Foreign Office document advising on how to deal with the foreign dignitaries attending the funeral. The official advice was: "Keep apart leaders who hate one another, watch what you feed them and make sure that President Macron is near the front to avoid a hissy fit".
I'm sure the French are going to love that one...
 
I got to work and found the chap on the night shift had done most (pretty much all) of the setting-up tasks that I would have done this morning. And within a very short time several colleagues who weren't supposed to be working turned up. With nothing to do at home they thought they'd come in to work and take a day off another time when it suited them better.
I'd only come in today because everyone else had said they wanted the day off... Having spent quite a bit of time watching the Laying in State I would have liked to have watched the funeral, but by then I was already at work and it was far too late to be changing plans. So I just spent much of the day constantly grumbling about what a waste of my time today had been.
 
As I was about to come home “er indoors TM sent a message; she was taking the dogs out, and one of the pond's filter boxes was leaking.
When I got home I had a look at the filter. Having spent three hundred quid on the pond's new filter system, it simply isn't working. A few weeks ago I bought two smaller filters and spread the water between them. The water isn’t spreading evenly. I *think* each filter needs its own pump. I shall have a look in the pond shop tomorrow…
With “er indoors TM and the dogs out I had a little tidy-up and loaded a carful of rubbish for a tip run in the morning. As I pootled “er indoors TM sent another message. Bailey had run off, and Treacle had eaten a dead mouse. Amazingly Morgan wasn’t guilty of any crimes.
 
With mouse eaten and Bailey recovered “er indoors TM and the hounds came home. We had a rather good bit of dinner watching a film. I can remember going to the cinema to watch “Blackball”… nearly twenty years ago.
Oh – and it was International Talk Like A Pirate Day today. That’s something that died a death, isn’t it? Mind you it would have had some serious competition today.
And I still feel rough…

No comments:

Post a Comment