13 September 2022 (Tuesday) - Eyestrain

As I scoffed toast I watched an episode of “Lunatics; a rather odd Australian Netflix mockumentary, then sparked up my lap-top. I sent out a few birthday wishes, and seeing there was an episode of dog-club scheduled for this weekend I signed up for it. We can do dog-club before “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM comes to visit. I am reliably informed he wants to see the puppies… and Treacle… Oh – and Nanny. When prompted about seeing Granddad he did say “yeah” but I suspect it was rather half-heartedly.
And following the little spat of last Thursday I received an apology from the pub that had been so offensive. It would seem I caught them on a bad day. I’ve given them the benefit of the doubt.
 
Having Munzee-ed from the sofa I walked to my car capping lifebelts and feathers (as one does), and then drove to work listening to the pundits on the radio interviewing James Reed (of the recruitment company). He made some interesting points. With UK unemployment at an all-time low and wage rises in the private sector currently being three times that of the public sector, not only are hospitals, schools and local government offices struggling to recruit, they are actively losing staff to the private sector.
Like we didn't see that one coming?
There was quite a bit of talk on the radio about the ongoing conflict in the Ukraine; the Ukrainian President was telling his Western allies (sponsors?) that they weren't supplying weapons quickly enough for his liking.
I can understand the chap's frustration, but from what I hear of him on the radio, gratitude doesn't seem to be his strong suit. From what I hear he seriously does expect others to fund his war.
In a novel change to the last few days there wasn't endless talk of the death of the Queen but Thought For The Day was odd... the woman talking was going on about some conversation she'd had with a stranger last week about how sad the Queen's passing had been. She went on to liken Her Late Majesty to a football team in bringing everyone together. Obviously this woman has never seen football thugs having a fight?
 
I got to work and before I started I had a rather productive ten minutes as I made a few phone calls. I've got an appointment with the solicitor for me and my brother next Tuesday. I've got a letter from the pension people coming in the post. I now know how to see about closing Dad's bank account. I sorted air-con re-gassing for my car. And I even confirmed a courtesy car for when my car gets fixed at the end of November.
Flushed with success I then did some work.
 
At tea break I went old-skool. Rather than reading my Kindle app I read a book. A proper paper book with pages and everything like I used to back in the day. Terry has left me quite a few to read.
But…
It rather made my eyes ache. You can't change the font size on a real book. If there are any words you don't understand, taping them achieves nothing; you have to physically go get a dictionary yourself. And when you finish the book you have to actually get off your bum and go to get another one. Whilst I’m sure I will get the hang of it, I can't help but wonder how I ever coped before my Kindle app.
 
Meanwhile in another plane of reality it is twenty-three years since the Moon went…

No comments:

Post a Comment