25 September 2022 (Sunday) - Family Birthdays

The nose piece of my CPAP machine burst in the small hours and I woke with a nose full of what I can only describe as warm Vaseline. Yuk! I didn’t (couldn’t) get back off to sleep after that.
When I tried to get up I could barely move; those rocks in the garden are too heavy to keep moving them about (like I seem to be doing an awful lot these days). But I heaved my carcass out of its pit, tiddled the puppies, and made toast which I scoffed whilst having my usual trawl of the Internet.
 
As I peered into the Internet Bailey came downstairs and asked to go out. I’m taking that as something of a result as “doing their business” is still very hit-and-miss. Mind you I’m hoping she went out to make a deposit and not a withdrawal. She still does snack on the occasional turd; seeing them as something of a delicacy.
Can’t see it myself.
The internet was still there. I used it to send out my birthday video to “My Boy TM”, and to one of the girls at work. She looks about the same age as him. I wonder if they were born on the same day? I wonder how I might ask without appearing nosey?
I read that “Wheels of Time” had  received an Ashford Borough Council Platinum Jubilee Civic Award yesterday. “Wheels of Time” is a local heritage group about which I knew absolutely nothing. It looks quite interesting; I wonder how many other local groups like that are out there about which I know absolutely nothing.
 
As I walked out to find my car I saw a “For Sale” notice board on nice-next-door. I wonder who will move in there next? No one ever stays in that house for very long. We moved here in September 1991 when that house was occupied by a little old lady who kept herself to herself.
She was replaced by the mother-in-law of the other neighbours. We got on well with her to the disgust of those other neighbours.
After her it is all something of a blur. I can't remember the exact order, and I may have forgotten some ...
There was the drunk Irishman who would play crap music incredibly late at night.
There were two young Australian ladies who would sunbathe in the garden in the nip (I liked them).
There was a Nigerian family who would never pull the blind in their toilet window.
There were two young lads who were great fun.
There was another Nigerian fellow who would regularly have a "crafty Joddrell" into the toilet in the evenings; the shadows of which on their bathroom blind were rather entertaining
There was the odd couple who tried to blame the flood in their upstairs bathroom on my downstairs washing machine.
There was the young family who ran away owning thousands (we had the debt collectors asking after them for months).
There were the people with three dogs each of which was the size of a cart-horse.
There was the nice couple who moved round the corner to Francis Road.
There was the lot who did noisy sex and who moved out in May 2018
There was the lot who used to run the Elwick Club and went on to run the Albion.
There was the lot who felt they were paying far too much rent who moved in on 9 March 2020 and left 1 August 2020 to go live in a caravan on the Romney Marsh.
The current chap moved in sometime in September 2020… and now he’s going.
In between all of them the house was empty for a year (on two occasions)
Mind you I wouldn’t want to live next door to me…
 
I drove round to the abode of the first fruit of my loin and collected “My Boy TM” and Cheryl. We left Lacey with instructions to make sure that Ro-Ro was sent out for a tiddle. I suggested her boyfriend also be sent out for a tiddle too (better safe than sorry), but favourite oldest granddaughter wasn’t amused.
We went to the pond shop. I needed a fountain attachment thingy for the pond. But I didn’t know what model of pump it was for; the chap who lived next door three neighbours ago gave it to me (and it was years old then), so I took part of the pump into the pond shop. The nice man rummaged in his box of spares and gave me exactly the bit I needed. And didn’t charge me for it either.
 
From there we went on to Dad’s house where we made a start on clearing up. Ornaments and keepsakes need distributing, photos need scanning, shed needs emptying… We got loads done. There’s still loads to do, but we got all the family photos down and the ornaments out of the living room. It doesn’t look like mum and dad’s living room any more, and that is a good thing.
With tidying tidied we then went up to the Conqueror’s March for a family dinner; after all today was “My Boy TM” ‘s birthday. I must admit that I wasn’t expecting much of the place. I thought it would be just like a Wetherspoons with microwaved ready-meals. I was wrong. The food was excellent. And as an added bonus we met an ex-cub scout, and a friend from my days in the Boys Brigade that I hadn’t seen in over twenty years.
 
We came home. I installed the pond’s new fountain attachment, unpacked the ornaments from Dad’s house that I’d wanted (I expect I’ll go back for more…), supervised the dogs doing “shares” with the lamb bone that “er indoors TM brought home from the pub, and then watched the dogs eating a celebration tea of sardines. Today was also Treacle’s birthday…
 
I really do feel that I now need a day off to recover from this weekend…

No comments:

Post a Comment