10 October 2026 (Saturday) - Monthly Geo-Meet

I didn’t sleep very well. I got up, made toast and had a look to see what had happened overnight. That idiot President Trump had made a deal with the Russians to buy loads of Russian oil as his war in the Middle East isn’t going as well as he’d hoped. Only a few weeks ago he was threatening sanctions against anyone who was buying Russian oil. The Ukrainians have got the right arse over the deal, but are their days numbered? Remember when the Russians were accused of blowing up that oil pipeline in the Baltic? Now it would seem that the Ukrainians did it. Did they? Who knows.
A friend of mine was banging the drum of boycotting expensive large music venues and supporting small local bands. An admirable sentiment *if* you can find a small local band that isn’t totally dreadful. Most are.
There wasn’t much else happening on social media.
 
Steve wasn’t on the radio this morning; he was having a little holiday. Quite often his stand-in isn’t the same. Today there was no stand in. There wasn’t even music playing. There was just silence on the radio, the Alexa and via the Internet.
So I listened to Radio Four instead who were interviewing some civil servant about some promise that a politician had made (the details of the promise are irrelevant). The civil servant spoke volumes when he said “I do wish politicians wouldn’t say that sort of thing, it just raises expectations that simply can’t be delivered”.
That speaks volumes about our political system, doesn’t it?
And there was some supporter of Liverpool FC on the radio who was whinging about some financial irregularity of the Manchester City football team. It struck me that he wasn’t whinging out of any sense of fair play or legal rightness. Like all football fans he had *his* team and all others were just wrong and evil for the simple reason that they weren’t his team.
 
I Munzed, capping a Widdlz workshop (as you do), and Wordled. This morning I started with “radio” which gave me absolutely nothing so I started again. Eventually. Can you think of a word that doesn’t have any of the letters of “radio” in it? Eventually I hit on “blush”. From there I went to “bugle” (as I used to play one) and I got it on the fourth attempt with “bumpy”.
 
We drove round to Repton and Dog Club. There’s been a lot of petty bickering behind the scenes about Dog Club. Basically two of the people at the later group have had a squabble and one has gone running off to the people who own the paddock full of petty tales. Quite frankly I’m sick of hearing about their issues. But we had a rather good session even if Morgan did disgrace himself (as he does).
 
From Dog Club we drove out to Badlesmeere where we met Karl and Tracey. They’d had a “sort it out” email from geocaching HQ qbout one of their geocaches which had had a spate of “did not find” logs. We walked out and found the thing was exactly where it was supposed to be.
But we had a good walk. As we walked Treacle disappeared into a thicket. She eventually returned, and when she did she had a freshly killed pheasant in her mouth. Am I wrong in being rather proud that my old lady is still a dangerous wolf?
 
From Badlesmere we drove up to Oare where the monthly geo-meet was taking place. We got there early and had quite the feat before everyone else arrived. Some very good snacks, some rather decent pints of Late Red, and the chance to catch up with old friends and to meet new friends.
I slept for much of the way home, as I so often do after these monthly geo-meets.
 
We came home. Whilst we were out I took some photos. I do that. I AI-ed some of them. We got take-out from the Chinese down the road and spent the evening on the Infinity Table…
A rather good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment